Kilcoole

Sun May 23, 2004 8:33 pm

first time ever fishing here. fished from high water (roughly 2 o' clock) down (6 o' clock). started fishing at 20yards, 3 hook boom rigs, plain leads and size 4's. bites from the word go. mainly dabs with the odd flounder falling to small rag baits. tried tipping with frozen peeler crab legs, just to see if i had frozen them down well, and this was more successful. few singles, a few doubles and then things slowed a little. tried casting out further 60- 80 yards with no response and then up to 180m with a single hook, only managing a single dab. tiring of the tiddler snatching i decided to try and catch a plaice- the water was clear and the sun was beaming! i started loading my clipped plaice rigs with large wriggling rag and crab baits on size 1's and casting them about 100yards and more to try and catch a plaice. took one fish of 29cm and later one of 31cm on my last cast. lovely sight to see them coming in through the clear surf. i fished the bait for 10min. and then pulled the grips out and allowed the rig to move slowly around in the tide- it worked. nice day, good company and a few fish, for some of us! not bad for a first timer....