The East Pier, Howth

Mon May 17, 2004 10:19 pm

The East Pier ,Howth, Monday 17th May 2004,7.30pm-9.00pm
Bait: Lures, Squid

Myself and Jhon 65 fished at the nuckle bend fishing to the seaward side today in hope of some pollack. He set up a float with squid strip to see if he would get lucky and we both done some spinning. I tried tobys , black flying c's and plugs but it wasn't to be. The lobster pots were strung out about 20 yards out so they were a nuisance. Anyone one ever have any luck spinning here for pollack? Where are the best spots in the harbour itself for catching mullet?

Mon May 17, 2004 10:32 pm

George u can catch some great pollack spinning here. the smaller fish are more reliable though. i remember i had 18 pollack in 3 hours fishing here with a spinner in sept. a few years ago. the yacht club is good for mullet.

Mon May 17, 2004 10:34 pm

What kind of spinners were you using?

Mon May 17, 2004 10:58 pm

different size 'toby' lures do the trick George. 4" long by 1cm strip of silver foil (crisp packet!) folded lenghtways over the hook shank is effective and very cheap. fish on a 2- 4 foot long trace.

Mon May 17, 2004 11:34 pm

I had some luck a few years ago on the east pier. Best was two pollack about 3 1/2/4 lbs 2 years ago to two flying Cs (within 20 mins of each other)- quite a few smaller abt a llb or so

East Pier

Tue May 18, 2004 10:01 am

This is a great spot for pollack in season.

They will take anything at times, I've caught them on spinners, frozen sandeel and even feathers.

By far the best way is to spin frozen sandeel on a 3-4 foot trace. They're not all tiddlers, fish in the 3lb range are quite common.

However I have always found that the end of the pier is best, and not around the bend. Fish here over high tide on a summer's evening and you are bound to get a couple.

Tue May 18, 2004 10:14 am

I would personally say just past the bend is best.
And yep, some good Pollack from there, when they're in. Ive only ever used toby's here, always a success. As for the Mullet, between the slipway and where the trawlers are is a good spot for them. Ive been told they're taken from the end of the other walkway on the East pier, but ive never tried that spot.

Tue May 18, 2004 10:55 am

When should the pollack fishing here start to pick up?

Tue May 18, 2004 1:24 pm

Mullet swim around the short pier. You can drive down to the end, park up and fish. You will see the mullet in small shoals swim around the end of the pier, into the harbour and back round again, right next to the water line. Fish light for more action though. Float fished bread.

Ian

Tue May 18, 2004 2:27 pm

the pollack will be there now. i had them last year just after the second week of may. not in great numbers but they are there. friend had one 3 1/2 pound, i lost a larger fish at the rocks and we both had two or three smaller ones. there are big pollack here George do not fish too light because the larger fish can be difficult to land due to the rocks. 15lb. line recomended. clearish seas and high pressure increase chances.

Tue May 18, 2004 11:39 pm

Id does the short pier refer to the west pier?

Wed May 19, 2004 8:06 am

Yep, the short Pier is the west one, where the trawlers dock.

Wed May 19, 2004 8:35 am

I hooked a pollock off that pier August last year casting out toward the bouys. Mullet were swimming beneath me all day each time I went there.