Bailey LH Report (yep another one)

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:46 am

Fished: Sunday 18th - 11:30am-7pm High tide: 12pm approx.

City side of the Bailey again, bait was rag, lug and sandeel. Floated hard against base of LH with rag. 2 hook boom used on main rod for first 2-3hrs....changed to a double runner with lug tipped with eel. Shortly after I took 2 dab, one after the other. Maybe an hour later 2 whiting on single cast then another immediately after. Had moved to the far rock in the meantime when tide permitted. Was over then when realised the float was still out with 5-6ft plumb depth. Lo and behold the float was gone, I assumed was stuck between rocks somewhere as the tide was receding. Took in the line and got a quick pull on it, then another.....couple of mins later a fine 2.2lb Wrasse was looking at me. Having not caught one since last summer, its a welcomed return and the highlight of the day.....fine size too! Other fish taken by the other two with me were 1 dog, 4 Whiting and 1 Dab between them. Don't know why, but I'm fairly delighted with the aul Wrasse :D A good day! (apart from the light showering of hailstones).

Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:38 pm

fair play to you Wes. why wouldn't u be happy with a wrasse that size?! this early in the year too. keep up the good work! any of the other fish of any size?

Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:18 am

Cheers Mark, nah, the other fish were the same as the week before, not much bigger than the palm of your hand. Been down there yourself recently?

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:08 pm

No Wes. busy time at the moment. i have to make do with day dreaming! i am going to try dollymount at the weekend i reckon. last two weeks in april are hit or miss on this beach but good flounder are there for the taking. i would love to have a crack at the bailey but it's a long way to go only to be turned away. there are pollack there near the lighthouse now around the stone platform which fall to small heavy lures or floatfishing.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:22 pm

Mark,

Where do you fish on Dollymount? Looks kinda featureless to me.

I've often wondered if there are any fish in the deeper channels near the Sutton Dinghy Club and along where the bait diggers roam, but haven't fished it yet.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:28 pm

Hi Guys,
I tried at the dinghy club end twice last summer looking for bass, but no joy. Didn't try using bait though. I have seen a couple of guys fishing around the wooden bridge on an incoming tide - not sure what they catch there. Any Ideas?
JK

Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:33 pm

SOD says theres Mullet around the supports at the bridge.....

SOD wrote:The mullet at the wooden bridge gather around the supports of the bridge at low water . This is when I caught my biggest fish . As the tide moves in they move up the estuary towards where the St Annes river enters . They also congregate around the salt marshes at the causway and behind the golf course . Best baits are bread or small madies . If you are fishing from the bridge itself dont forget the dropnet .

Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:45 pm

IDPearl i sent you an e mail regarding dollymount beach. SOD/ Wes are right about mullet at the wooden bridge- some good ones too. flatties here too at low tide, although i get the impression most don't believe me on that one. bass are caught from the wooden bridge every year but i have found them quite elusive. it gets annoying weighting for a bite, getting in peoples way and having to talk to everyone who tells u you should be fishing for the mullet! fish late evening rising tide for bass here- peeler crab.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:56 pm

Mark,

Didn't get your e-mail, not yet anyways. Send a private message if you like.

Ian
:roll:

Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:13 pm

I have seen flats at the wooden bridge at low water while digging bait . Some of them look of a decent size . During winter I have caught coalies to 2lb off the bridge . I have been told that during winter on the big tides you get a run of whiting off the wooden bridge .

Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:37 pm

IDPearl i will send you info. soon. pity about the message...i wonder how many have not gone through? thanks for the support SOD!

Wrasse

Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:46 pm

Nice Wrasse Wes! m.b3 could you send me some info on Dollymount by pm?

Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:01 am

Cheers George. Lads....you're having me wondering about the bridge mark now. I reckon if enough info is provided along with a good pic, Kieran might add a link to the Dollymount Strand shore mark section. Like he did with Split Rock. :?:

new mark listing

Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:29 pm

Hi

Not a problem. Will be up to visit the mother in Raheny and will pop down to the wooden bridge for a few photos and will add this is shortly.