Swilly, 23rd November, 2021

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:11 pm

It’s been a while since I posted a report, a combination of fewer saltwater trips than usual and mediocre results.
I had intended trying for a thornback before the cold weather kicks in properly but as I parked at my spot I was right on cue to see a small boat drop a line of pots parallel to the shore and within casting range right where I had hoped to set up. Off to the Plan B mark to try for a few flounder. Half way on the walk to the mark I suddenly realised I had forgotten my tripod, as in “left it at home”. Back to the car and off to the Plan C mark, a pier where I could prop up the rods against the wall. On the plus side I could fish out of the car in comfort should the weather turn bad, free lighting too!
Two rods set up with 2 and 3 hook flappers baited with mackerel strip, sandeel and prawn were soon out on the sand hoping for a few flatties with the risk of small coalies and whiting after dusk. It wasn’t too long before a rod started nodding and a dogfish made the transition from liquid to gas; a quick mugshot and it was soon back home. This was the start of a succession of doggies which came in ones, twos and threes steadily through the session including one with a chunk of tail missing. One surprise was a doggie and late-season mackerel double. This mackerel would replace the one taken from the freezer this morning; put and take mackerel fishing. A slight lull in the doggy parade allowed a few pin whiting to strip and occasionally engulf the baits but the doggies soon were back in earnest to bully the whiting off. I ended up with a total of twenty one doggies, a few pin whiting, one mackerel and, surprisingly, no small coalies; all that lovely clean sand and not a single flattie. Not a spectacular night but certainly a busy one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Swilly, 23rd November, 2021

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 pm

fishing in comfort and catching fish too.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:36 am

Great report as usual, The dogfish seem to be plentiful at the moment, I have been catching alot of them too. Nice to see the mackeral been caught.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 am

MC wrote:fishing in comfort and catching fish too.

Yeah, sometimes when things go wrong, things can go right; if life gives you lemons, make lemonade! It's near time you got out again!

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:43 pm

johnwest wrote:
MC wrote:fishing in comfort and catching fish too.

Yeah, sometimes when things go wrong, things can go right; if life gives you lemons, make lemonade! It's near time you got out again!

A postman at Christmas is busier than Santa so could be boxing day before i get out again