Wicklow Hounds Ray and Huss

Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:29 pm

So I decided to give myself a kick in the arse and get a hound session or two in before they're gone. After many people telling me how bad they where this year, I wasn't too eager, but the young fella had me driven mad to catch one so I decided on a handy session in wicklow fishing end of the drop and most of the flood. Low water in mind for Ray was part of the plan. Arrived and set up two rods, one at distance and one about 60 yards. Fresh crab baits and some squid and sandeel combos, up and over Pennel rigs fished a treat for us all night. one doggie for the night was fantastic, as the baits were able to settle and get picked up by our target species.

First 3 casts saw us into 3 Hounds, first 2 around 4 to 5 pound mark and 3rd came in at 6.5 lb. Great start ! The young lad was made for the night, mission accomplished. A few more hounds and then things slowed down for an hour. But sure enough, just after slack water we managed a few small thornies and then back into the hounds again. Much better fish coming in this time, plenty of specimens and the biggest 10.6lb. My PB well and truly smashed. After a busy hour it slowed right up and so we decided to use up the remaining bait in close scratching for species to keep himself interested. Whiting, pouting and doggies was the answer. We even managed a little tub gurnard. On his last cast he pulled a triple shot, which was turning him blue in the face reeling it in :lol: Me shouting at him come on reel the effin thing its only a few tiddlers. To our surprise a huge Huss broke the water about 10 yards out and we both nearly wet ourselves with the excitement. Turns out the Huss went for one of his hooked whiting which in turn got hooked also. Unfortunately the size 2 match hooks did not cope with the last pull and he done a tumble and snapped the hook clean in half and disappeared into the abyss. A fine huss that looked far bigger than any i have landed on east or west coast. Shocked, excited, disappointed but also amazed we packed up after that and headed home.

A special night fishing that ill never forget, something special about seeing the young lads face as he felt the power of his first decent fish. A moment I got to re-live through him and certainly gave me the bug again for some more sessions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Wicklow Hounds Ray and Huss

Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:12 pm

Fantastic report and some fine fish, nice! :)

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:31 am

Class! If that's the stretch I'm thinking of it really can throw up anything!

Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:30 pm

Gonzo wrote:Fantastic report and some fine fish, nice! :)

Cheers man

Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:31 pm

Dave F wrote:Class! If that's the stretch I'm thinking of it really can throw up anything!

Cheers Dave yea it’s been good to me over the years

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:38 pm

Fantastic fishing - great results and another hooked

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:43 pm

corbyeire wrote:Fantastic fishing - great results and another hooked

Cheers Corby yea another one to buy loads of fancy gear for too haha

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:50 am

sure its a great excuse to covertly buy yourself a load of gear too ;)

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:55 pm

Deadly. Great stuff. great pics too.
One to remember for a long time for the young man!

Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:16 am

chuckaroo wrote:Deadly. Great stuff. great pics too.
One to remember for a long time for the young man!

Cheers Charlie yes absolutely I was delighted for him a far better first session than I had anyway that’s for sure :lol:

Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:51 pm

great report lad.good meeting ya on courtown how did it fish after,im in recovery now so hope to be back on the beach in january

Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:50 pm

petewex wrote:great report lad.good meeting ya on courtown how did it fish after,im in recovery now so hope to be back on the beach in january

Cheers pete yea likewise mate. Was a poor enough session as far as I remember few small hounds. Hope the recovery goes well, defo see ya down south in the new year

Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:30 pm

Unbelievable session for Wicklow. Fair play! Not often a ray turns up from the shore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:55 pm

delmonte wrote:Unbelievable session for Wicklow. Fair play! Not often a ray turns up from the shore!

Cheers man yea I have some great sessions over the years along Wicklow and arklow but can be very hot and miss at times too.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:42 pm

How does it work with the hounds on the east coast? They show around June and then again in October?

Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:15 am

delmonte wrote:How does it work with the hounds on the east coast? They show around June and then again in October?

They’re usually well and truly gone by October they normally fish well from July to September with the bigger ones around August on the east coast but this year I had heard from a good few people how poor the hound fishing was on the east coast. To be honest I didn’t put a lot of effort into them this year but had great results when I did fish for them.

Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:54 am

You’d wonder does 16 Celsius in November have anything to do with the late showing

Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:35 am

delmonte wrote:You’d wonder does 16 Celsius in November have anything to do with the late showing

No wondering about it :lol: