A surprise catch

Wed May 05, 2021 12:17 pm

South Wexford beach 26th April 2021
Fishing a rising tide
Bait: Crab
rigs : Pully pennel and two hook clippped rig
Arrived at beach at 15.00. The tide was an hour or two into the rise and looked good. A fair bit of colour for 40 meters out in front. The weed didnt appear evident apart from the kelp on the beach. I wanted to try out my new anyfish anywhere rod so baited up a pully pennel rig and cast out. On the other rod i had a two hook clipped rig with frozen lug tipped with squid. The pully rig got stuck in a load of weed and i lost the rig unfortunetly and had to tie another shockleader and out it went again with crab. Brought in the second rig and it appeared no crab activity at all. Cast out again but with the tide running my lines crossed.I managed to save one complete set of gear but one shockleader got wrapped around kelp and a complete mess. I lost alot of time to recover the tangled shockleader and rig but managed to get it all back only fit for the bin, oh well, The next few casts the weed appeared to vanish and some small bites appeared but nothing was connecting. I was hoping for an early smoothound or a bass and the sight of the sea was breathtaking. The pully pennel rig with crab was about 50 meters out and i happened to be standing at the tripod with my hand resting accross the rod when all of a sudden i felt the rod almost come off the stand. I quickly grabbed the rod and needed to adjust the drag quickly. The fish took off on a good run, I figured this was a smooth hound and a good one at that. I felt some big head shakes and after another few runs the fish almost jumped out of the water about 10 meters out. then all i could see was its tail as it had his head down. Gradually i walked backwards bringing the fish into the waves. It appeared to be sitting in the wave and my heart was racing. The wave landed onto the beach along with the fish. Quickley ran out and retrieved the fish and to my surprise it was a tope. I was completely amazed and a happy man. A nice catch on my new rod.The top hook had been bent out and the lower 4 O hook was stuch at the back of his teeth at the front of his mouth. I popped the hook out easy. Took some photos and kept pouring water over the fish and measured its lenght at 143 cm.I got a wellie full returning the fish but off it went nice and strong. Well that was it I fished a tope rig with mackeral but nothing more but i really didnt mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: A surprise catch

Wed May 05, 2021 1:36 pm

Great catch.
What kind of hook trace did you use to pull this in?

Wed May 05, 2021 1:47 pm

Everyone's having a good year so far :lol: great report :D

Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm

Cracking fish well done beauty

Wed May 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Congratulations - super fish

Wed May 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Class! Great catch and some shock on the crab! Looks a nice healthy example. Nothing like them to catch. I've only had one but I'm ruined for other fish now.

Wed May 05, 2021 6:58 pm

Ah class,, brilliant stuff,, definitely a nice surprise

Wed May 05, 2021 7:32 pm

Excellent result, with weed problems like you had to contend with, I would probably have gone home.
Is your new rod now officially your "tope rod"? Angling Addicts fish length to weight calculator gives a weight of 29lb 4oz for a 143cm tope.

Thu May 06, 2021 10:11 am

jonney wrote:Great catch.
What kind of hook trace did you use to pull this in?

I had 80lb mono trace with a pully pennel of a 4 O hook and a 3 O hook. The line near the hook was frayed but i was lucky where the fish was hooked.

Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 am

Gonzo wrote:Everyone's having a good year so far :lol: great report :D

Cheers man sure is great to be out.

Thu May 06, 2021 10:14 am

ste c wrote:Cracking fish well done beauty

Thanks man

Thu May 06, 2021 10:16 am

corbyeire wrote:Congratulations - super fish

Thanks Corbyeire happy out

Thu May 06, 2021 10:19 am

Dave F wrote:Class! Great catch and some shock on the crab! Looks a nice healthy example. Nothing like them to catch. I've only had one but I'm ruined for other fish now.

Thanks Dave I never thought for a second this could happen. They sure do scrap. I tried for them before and never had a sniff.

Thu May 06, 2021 10:20 am

MartinC wrote:Ah class,, brilliant stuff,, definitely a nice surprise

thanks Martin i could say a shocking surprise !!!

Thu May 06, 2021 10:34 am

johnwest wrote:Excellent result, with weed problems like you had to contend with, I would probably have gone home.
Is your new rod now officially your "tope rod"? Angling Addicts fish length to weight calculator gives a weight of 29lb 4oz for a 143cm tope.

The thought of going home had crossed my mind John for sure !! Id say it was over twenty but i dont think it was 29lb, I may invest in a good scales, thats on the shopping list. I think if i fish for Tope i will use it as it takes 6 ounces plus bait no problem but i wont be calling it the Tope rod as i will jinx myself !!!

Thu May 06, 2021 10:35 am

Legend what a beauty

Thu May 06, 2021 11:23 am

THE BROW wrote:Legend what a beauty

They sure are an amazing fish man

Thu May 06, 2021 1:47 pm

Incredible. Awesome result. Congratulations

Thu May 06, 2021 4:03 pm

Brilliant little report. Great fish well done.

Thu May 06, 2021 6:51 pm

Thats a quality fish, nice to see them back.