North Coast Fish & Fingers

Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:12 pm

Hit Benone beach yesterday and set up beside 2 other anglers, it was great to get out. I was ideally hoping for a bass but would have gladly settled for anything
Bait was a few sprat and mussel (never really tried these baits before) left over from a run to the fish mongers on Saturday morning, fished on 2 hook flappers at distance
The chat was good with the other lads - social distancing strictly adhered to - learn't a bit, and I happily managed a nice wee turbot and a whiting, that' all. No bass caught by any of us, but that's the usual way with this beach lol. they did managed quite a good few small turbos though, a small sea trout and a good flounder, they were using rag
My turbot had taken the (big) sprat whole and the whiting took the mussel. All good
Oh yeah, and I caught my finger..... :o
is anyone else getting out? Would be nice to see a few more reports to lift the boredom of lockdown!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: North Coast Fish & Fingers

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 am

Good stuff Chuckaroo, that wee turbot did well to engulf that sprat, quite a mouthful. I seem to remember somebody else doing that "hook in a finger" trick recently....,was expecting a few more details on your surgical extraction procedure!

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:07 pm

Nice day out then ouch! I hope that hook was barbless?

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:40 pm

I don’t know about a turbot but that finger is perfectly hooked.

Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:39 pm

johnwest wrote:Good stuff Chuckaroo, that wee turbot did well to engulf that sprat, quite a mouthful. I seem to remember somebody else doing that "hook in a finger" trick recently....,was expecting a few more details on your surgical extraction procedure!

Yeah, big mouth on those turbot, it had the whole thing well down the gob but i managed to retrieve it with minimal damage thankfully.
Remember you doing the same thing on the boat all right Paddy, ha. I tried to reverse the hook out but it was going nowhere so I managed to push the point out and nip the point and barb off with a pair of pliers, then reverse it out cleanly. Thankfully the hook point was nice and sharp and thankfully my finger tips were pretty numb by this stage :lol:

P1102950.JPG

Stephen8wood wrote:Nice day out then ouch! I hope that hook was barbless?

That photo should answer that question...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:29 pm

nice turbot and i hope the finger is ok. As for a report I need to get out fishing first

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:58 pm

Nice report and and a warning to the rest of us, always have a pliers or a snips in the tackle bag. Happened to us on a boat a couple of years ago, one of lads put a hook through his thumb, we couldn’t find the snips onboard and had to head back in. Luckily someone had a naggin of brandy so helped numb the pain a bit ....

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:09 pm

you did well to get the turbot - its mad how they sometimes go for fish baits the lenght of themselves

the numb fingers are grand at the time when your doing damage - but if you dont know youve been slicing yourself, you get some surprises when you warm up back in the car...

Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:37 pm

MC wrote:nice turbot and i hope the finger is ok. As for a report I need to get out fishing first

The finger is 100%, 2 little holes but fully recovered lol
Greendag wrote:Nice report and and a warning to the rest of us, always have a pliers or a snips in the tackle bag. Happened to us on a boat a couple of years ago, one of lads put a hook through his thumb, we couldn’t find the snips onboard and had to head back in. Luckily someone had a naggin of brandy so helped numb the pain a bit ....

Thanks. Yeah, after an incident with JW in the summer and another with another friend on a boat, I'm also seeing the big benefits of carrying a pair of cutting pliers in the tackle box. Almost a must.. Otherwise i would have been driving home with that thing sticking out my finger the whole way.. :roll:
corbyeire wrote:you did well to get the turbot - its mad how they sometimes go for fish baits the lenght of themselves
the numb fingers are grand at the time when your doing damage - but if you dont know youve been slicing yourself, you get some surprises when you warm up back in the car...

I was cleaning old bait off the hook when the rod fell off the tripod.. I felt the jurk on my finger but had no idea the hook had gone in because the fingers were numb lol, and piercing the hook through was not painful at all.. It all went quite smoothly actually lol
Yeah, was hoping for a bigger turbot.. :)

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:22 pm

Well done on a few fish Chuckaroo. The turbos are amazing they way they just suck down big baits alright. Fair play on the Bear Grylls job on the hook!