Rogerstown Estuary 13.09.2020

Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:51 pm

When: 13/09/2020
Where: Rogerstown Estuary (Rush side)
Who: Myself and my uncle Ken
Duration: 15:00-21:00
High Water: 21:01
Equipment: 15ft beachcaster with 9000 reel & 11ft bass rod with 4000 reel, bite detection bells.
Bait/Lures: Peeler crab with 4/0 offset bait holder hooks, ledgered on the 15ft rod and flapper on the other rod, both single hooks.
Conditions: Splitting sunshine, clear blue skies and a nice 1m swell.
Result: Blank

I had been planning to hit Rogerstown on the rush side with peeler crab all week, today was the perfect day and my uncle tagged along. High tide was bang on sunset with a good swell running although I was fishing the channel so that didn't really matter. I fished low tide up, casting nice big peeler crab baits into the margins of the channel. It wasn't long for I got a nice strong definite bite with my bells ringing, I picked up the rod, tightened the drag and swung up to set the hook but it didn't work so the fish got away. A short time later the exact same thing happened again! So the next bait I made sure was tightly secured and that the hook and barb were well exposed. 3rd big hit and I set the hook, fish on, I'm reeling it in nice and slowly, keeping the tension on, but it dropped off the minute I lifted it out of the water, it was a small eel! Would have loved to have landed it as I'd have another species to add to my list but it wasn't meant to be. After that I think I had one more bite that didn't hook up and then hours of nothing..

The only thing my uncle caught was a kite surfer who decided to get into the estuary right beside us and coast past us only a few feet from the shore and into his line! Line was peeling off as this kite surfer took my uncles trace out to sea :lol: He eventually got it back along with an apology :lol:

Ken headed off early and I fished another 2 hours into darkness and got absolutely eaten alive by the midges :evil:

Definitely going to be trying this again but next time I'll be using smaller circle hooks!

Will have a video to post tomorrow :D
Last edited by Gonzo on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Rogerstown Estuary 13.09.2020

Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:59 pm

Finished it quicker than I thought I would:
https://youtu.be/LXRZlVxmr4E