Looking for some help

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:13 pm

We are supposed to go for shark from Dungarvan this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like tomorrow will be blown off - expecting force 5 S-SW winds so rather uncomfortable. Saturday doesn't look much better. And that's why I'm here: where can we fish from shore near-ish to Dungarvan. The best spot I can think of is the Deepwater Quay in Cobh but that's an hour away although I really don't mind, but I'm sure folk here have better suggestions. Also we don't have bait, assuming that we'd get mackerel on the way out to the shark, so I'd appreciate pointers to where we could catch macks in that area, or where I could buy ragworm / lugworm / frozen mackerel.

All info greatly appreciated!

Re: Looking for some help

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi you can get bait in Waterford angling on the Tramore road, Waterford. I wouldn’t be familiar with the fishing marks around Waterford sorry. I hear you can get flatfish at Passage East? Also the beaches at Tramore and Dungarvan are supposedly good bass spots?

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks for your help - I got rag in that shop, and we fished Helvick Head harbour. We caught loads of tiny mackerel but nothing else - I lost count at 200. We got out for shark today: 8 blue & 2 porbeagle landed and 3 lost, so a pretty good day!

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 am

Wow, what a day, delighted for ya! That is some SERIOUS fishing! Hope y ah e many more!

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:26 am

Well done Bp with sharks . How far out were you off Helvick.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:08 am

We were out about 10 miles with Dungarvan Offshore Charters - the latest pics are from our trip: https://www.facebook.com/dungarvanoffshorecharters. Sunday was quieter - only 5 sharks on board, the very last was when we were winding in she hit the bait and she was a fine 101lbs. Unfortunately that wasn't my rod she hit :-(