Skerries Pier 22.06.2020 SQUID JIGGING

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:39 am

When: 22/06/2020
Where: Skerries Pier
Duration: 23:30-02:00
High Water: 01:15
Equipment: 11ft bass rod - Shimano 4000 Spinning Reel.
Bait/Rig: Switching between 5 hook mackerel basher sabiki rig with size 1/0 hooks & 2oz lead and a few squid jigs.
Conditions: Warm with strong offshore wind.
Result: Blank

Tried again out in Skerries pier tonight for mackerel, also bought a set of squid jigs and gave that a go! What I tried was first I'd charge the glow on the jig, then cast out within distance of the light from the pier, let it sink to the bottom, then sweeping up 2-3ft and let it sink while reeling in the slack then repeat until it was right under my rod tip, a few jigs and I'd reel it in to charge the glow again. No luck at all except for a bundle of rope :lol: This was my first time squid jigging so if anyone has any tips or if I'm doing it wrong please let me know!

No mackerel on the sabikis either!

Re: Skerries Pier 22.06.2020 SQUID JIGGING

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Think some1 mentioned the squid are best fished for on the night of a full moon..
Spring and autumn seems to be when they are in numbers.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:35 pm

Full moon neap tides just lift jig off the bottom 6/8 inches then let it drift back down slowly
mickser

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:16 pm

mickser wrote:Full moon neap tides just lift jig off the bottom 6/8 inches then let it drift back down slowly
mickser

Nice one mickser I'll give it another bash next week

Edit: wait doesn't a full moon coincide with a spring tide?

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Good question Gonzo.
I'm also flumoxed with that advice. Have never lived by the sea till now, but have always understood that full moon equals spring tides. Neaps are at mid-point.
Both options have merit though - i get that squid hunt by sight (those large eyes designed for nocturnal hunting), but they don't strike me as being the best swimmers in strong currents, so also presume they would be more active during the more "passive" current periods such as Neaps.
Hey, full marks for trying though.
Do you ever get any sleep!

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:27 am

mickser wrote:Full moon neap tides just lift jig off the bottom 6/8 inches then let it drift back down slowly
mickser

Thanks for the advice Mickser, have tried it out there a few times and never really get it right, will definitely give it another go now.