Portrane Beach 05.06.2020

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:47 am

When: 05/06/2020
Where: Portrane Beach
Duration: 20:00-00:30
High Water: 23:55
Equipment: 12ft beachcaster - 2/0 two hook flapper rig with beads/attractors & 5oz grip lead. & 11ft bass rod - self made rig, 2 hook paternoster with 3/0 circle hooks, green & black beads and some attractors. Bite detection bell/lights.
Bait: Ragworm & Peeler Crab.
Conditions: Really cold, windy and a heavy downpour as I was getting setup :lol:
Result: 1 small flounder

I thought tonight was going to be a really good night for fishing with the spring tide and the full moon. I had dug a lb of rag and gathered a couple of peelers earlier today, so I had the perfect bait too. I caught the small flounder about an hour into my session, was released after a quick photo. Then the most frustrating thing happened, about 1 hour to high tide I started getting bites, and I know when I get a bite due to the bells going off, but the annoying thing was I lost the fish every single time, must of been at least 15 bites with no hookup. I tried a few different methods from striking quick and hard to just leaving it and let the fish set the hook itself but nothing was working. Overall I'm happy with the outcome as I got to see a nice moonrise and I didn't blank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Portrane Beach 05.06.2020

Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:02 pm

Your hooks are 2/0 and 3/0 - you were probably missing bits from small fish - go down to size 2 or 4 and youll catch a lot more - also the crabs are getting very active but you would have probably pulled one of those in

Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:04 pm

I’d be inclined to downto size 6.

Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:19 pm

corbyeire wrote:Your hooks are 2/0 and 3/0 - you were probably missing bits from small fish - go down to size 2 or 4 and youll catch a lot more - also the crabs are getting very active but you would have probably pulled one of those in

Chris T wrote:I’d be inclined to downto size 6.

Yeah I know I'm using fairly large hooks but I'm doing that to keep the small fish off, trying to catch some keepers :lol: I actually didn't realize the smaller fish would still go for the big hooks and set my alarms off, I thought I was just missing fish :lol:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:00 pm

I was out last week and the place was riddled with tiny Whiting. Bait didn't last 5minutes with them

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk