Northside Dublin

Sat May 09, 2020 5:06 pm

Thursday 7th may
Time: 8:30pm to 11:45pm
Tide: flooding,High water around 12
Bait: ragworm
Venue: north Dublin beach
Results: 3 Smooth hound and 1 bass

With the current restrictions in place we couldn’t travel too far so we arrived at this north Dublin spot with low expectations, hoping for a flattie or 2, maybe a schoolie bass if we got really lucky but as it turns out things went better than expected.
Fishing a simple 2 hook flapper, size 1 hooks with half a ragworm on each we were set up and fishing at 8:30pm about 2 hours into the flood. There was a bit of a surf and straight away weed was a problem. After a couple of hours of no bites and the weed doing my head we had been pushed back up the beach and with that the sea calmed and the weed eased off and an hour of action started :D
Noticed the first bite of the night and knew it wasn’t a flattie, reeled him in and it was a bass, close to 40cm I’d say, I've no measuring tape or scales cos I usually catch nothing worth measuring :D absolutely chuffed, never caught a bass before.
Next up, to my surprise were the smooth hound, wasn’t expecting to come across them at this spot, shows you how much I know, anyways, he wasn’t huge, a couple of pounds maybe, caught on half a ragworm. I had a couple frozen peeler with me so I lashed them out but that wasn’t touched so switched back to the rag and a caught another couple hounds, the best probably being around 5 pounds I’d guess.
My buddy who was fishing with me suffered a catastrophic equipment failure in the middle of the session and I lent him a spare rod and reel I had in the car, a “beachcaster” that I’d picked up in Lidl years ago. He had some sport with it as he caught 3 smoothies as well :D similar size to the ones I caught. Great little session at a spot that I’d never have normally fished on and it’s only up the road as well.

Re: Northside Dublin

Sat May 09, 2020 5:48 pm

Greendag wrote:Thursday 7th may
Time: 8:30pm to 11:45pm
Tide: flooding,High water around 12
Bait: ragworm
Venue: north Dublin beach
Results: 3 Smooth hound and 1 bass

With the current restrictions in place we couldn’t travel too far so we arrived at this north Dublin spot with low expectations, hoping for a flattie or 2, maybe a schoolie bass if we got really lucky but as it turns out things went better than expected.
Fishing a simple 2 hook flapper, size 1 hooks with half a ragworm on each we were set up and fishing at 8:30pm about 2 hours into the flood. There was a bit of a surf and straight away weed was a problem. After a couple of hours of no bites and the weed doing my head we had been pushed back up the beach and with that the sea calmed and the weed eased off and an hour of action started :D
Noticed the first bite of the night and knew it wasn’t a flattie, reeled him in and it was a bass, close to 40cm I’d say, I've no measuring tape or scales cos I usually catch nothing worth measuring :D absolutely chuffed, never caught a bass before.
Next up, to my surprise were the smooth hound, wasn’t expecting to come across them at this spot, shows you how much I know, anyways, he wasn’t huge, a couple of pounds maybe, caught on half a ragworm. I had a couple frozen peeler with me so I lashed them out but that wasn’t touched so switched back to the rag and a caught another couple hounds, the best probably being around 5 pounds I’d guess.
My buddy who was fishing with me suffered a catastrophic equipment failure in the middle of the session and I lent him a spare rod and reel I had in the car, a “beachcaster” that I’d picked up in Lidl years ago. He had some sport with it as he caught 3 smoothies as well :D similar size to the ones I caught. Great little session at a spot that I’d never have normally fished on and it’s only up the road as well.

Damn man that was good going! was some good fishing last night with that mad red full moon :D

Sat May 09, 2020 5:54 pm

Yeah, good little session, moon was spectacular, weather was lovely , had to take my jacket off at one stage.
All fish nicely hooked in the scissors and all went back no bother.
I’ll try to upload a photo or 2 if I can figure how to.

Sun May 10, 2020 12:37 pm

Well done
I had 1 flounder that night and nothing else

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Sun May 10, 2020 3:08 pm

Lovely jubbly 8)

Sun May 10, 2020 4:16 pm

Couple of pics, not great, can’t upload the pic of the bigger hound
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Very nice
Is that dollymount

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Mon May 11, 2020 11:27 am

Do you lads not know that that full red moon is a spawning cycle for squid and this is what you should have been fishing for there were thousands of them in Skerries and I have caught my years supply there last night doing it for years

Mon May 11, 2020 1:42 pm

mickser wrote:Do you lads not know that that full red moon is a spawning cycle for squid and this is what you should have been fishing for there were thousands of them in Skerries and I have caught my years supply there last night doing it for years

Fair play to ye Mick, wouldn’t know much about squid fishing and Skerries way beyond the 5km limit for me.
Did you use those squid jigs to catch them?

Thu May 14, 2020 10:53 am

mickser wrote:Do you lads not know that that full red moon is a spawning cycle for squid and this is what you should have been fishing for there were thousands of them in Skerries and I have caught my years supply there last night doing it for years
Hi Mickser, tried skerries a few times last year for the squid with my son, he’s very eager to target the squid, but we had no luck. Could you post a few tips on here for us please?
Last edited by DarrenNiall on Thu May 14, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Seems to be a few bass knocking about North Dublin at the moment, caught another one on Tuesday, fishing around 3 hours during the day, result was 1 bass of around 45cms.

Re: Northside Dublin - Squid Fishing (Dublin environs)

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:46 pm

hi Mickser,
Seems the Group is still waiting for some tips? In particular, DarrenNiall and myself would be most keen to get your immense insights (...been doing it for years...)
Besides your obvious guidance of going on full-moon - is it only certain full moons or any full moon?; best time, tides, guess you using the specific squid jigs - so which colour patterns work best for you? do you use assist lighting (lamp lowered to the water or cyalume sticks)? etc etc.
Waiting in anticipation.
Gareth