Re: SHORE MACKEREL REPORTS 2020

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:17 am

No mackerel off Howth east pier today, just 3 small pollock

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Fished off poolbeg lighthouse today for 2 hours over the high tide, not a tap, was using mackerel basher sabikis.. guy beside me did catch two but he was the only person I saw out of 10 people catch anything..

Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:34 am

Saw plenty being caught at Colliemore, Dalkey. Few also showing in Greystones.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Just went for a walk with this Mrs along Poolbeg lighthouse pier - 2:30pm to 3:00pm, on the rising to full tide.
A dozen gents at the very end all flinging various mack sabikis and feathers and most catching a couple. One gent in particular obviously casting into a hotspot, as he had filled a large bag with >30, and a few gents were getting them in 3's and 4's at a time. In 20 minutes we sat there, we saw a fair bundle being landed.
All seemed around 30-40cm size, so fairly decent.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:35 pm

Stopped by the pier in Skerries last night and they seem to be getting a few. Didn't stop for long but think mainly joey mackerel. Same as last year. Couldn't face the pier so tried spinning off the north beach but drew a blank

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:43 pm

Skerries pier can be far from relaxing at times

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 am

daveyboy wrote:Stopped by the pier in Skerries last night and they seem to be getting a few. Didn't stop for long but think mainly joey mackerel. Same as last year. Couldn't face the pier so tried spinning off the north beach but drew a blank

Does anyone use floats there these days or is it all feathers?, when I fished there in the 70's and 80"s it was all float fishing and great sport and plenty of fish too, it was the best place in Dublin for pier fishing for Mackerel, better than Howth and Dun Laoghaire. I dont do piers anymore now, I like to be out in the wilds on my own, just curious as to how they fish there now.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Most people fish with feathers Richie. Fishing for mackerel with a float is my favourite way so that's what I do but I have to go down at the crack of dawn to do it. I normally go up the steps to fish so the float doesn't drift in the way of the lads feathering. Daytime or evening I don't go down at all as there is usually no room for the float. Nothing like it though . Very relaxing isn't it.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Richie07 wrote:
daveyboy wrote:Stopped by the pier in Skerries last night and they seem to be getting a few. Didn't stop for long but think mainly joey mackerel. Same as last year. Couldn't face the pier so tried spinning off the north beach but drew a blank

Does anyone use floats there these days or is it all feathers?, when I fished there in the 70's and 80"s it was all float fishing and great sport and plenty of fish too, it was the best place in Dublin for pier fishing for Mackerel, better than Howth and Dun Laoghaire. I dont do piers anymore now, I like to be out in the wilds on my own, just curious as to how they fish there now.

I've seen a few people float fishing in Skerries this year, I've float fished there twice this year too but didn't get anything both times..

Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Got 7 mackerel off Lions Head in Howth this morning

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:09 pm

Nice one, cant beat float fishing for Macks. I wouldn't fancy being there with all those feathers flying about. I got a few Mackerel last night around Kilcoole, I was trying for Bass as the tide and conditions were great, few others I came across got a few Macks too.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:47 pm

Planning a trip down there myself . Do the mackerel tend to be in close or at distance down there ? Guessing it varies just that I will take my lighter 8 ft spinning rod if I don't need so much distance.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm

They were all at a distance, alot of weed about too. The only time I get them close around there is when there are plenty of them about, at the moment, they are there but only small schoals, you"d have to work hard to reach double figures. That could change though depending on the weather conditions and they might appear in numbers if it stays relatively calm.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:26 pm

Nice one Ritchie. Was thinking September so that's grand

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 pm

Amazingly got one of Spiddle pier at high tide in water the colour of chocolate.

Caz

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:21 pm

Loads in Helvick Head although they're mostly very small.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:55 am

Got a couple off Greystones South beach yesterday.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 am

Hi, thanks for sharing that. What part of the beach was that, near the train station end or up near the driving range?

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:43 pm

Fishing out in dun laoighre today 2hrs before High tide. Caught around 10 macks off the pier. Loads of other lads catching a few here and there.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:30 pm

bluebeard wrote:Got a couple off Greystones South beach yesterday.

Got a few too and some Pollock, think I saw you, alot of people fishing there last night, haven't seen it that busy in a very long time.