Re: SHORE MACKEREL REPORTS 2020

Sun May 31, 2020 7:45 pm

1st cast at Buncrana yesterday a mack but fell off lifting it. Thought I was in for a bagging session, not another touch : (

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:40 pm

one practicaly up the river in kilcolgan...

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:43 pm

1 Mack and 1 Launce in an hour off the rocks in Killiney. Lots of other people fishing and I didn’t see anything else being caught.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Popped into the local (fishing tackle supplier*) (*Identity and exact nature of the shop not disclosed to protect the owner!) in Co.Dublin (location protected), and asked the owner what the sea fishing has been like recently in the area.
Guidance was that the Mackerel and Pollack were swarming as thick as sardines all the way from Howth to Killiney and all available on feathers from the shore.
From his description one could imagine barrel loads of absolute slabs - King Mackerel size no less.
So either everyone on this site (will count myself in on this category) are completely Sh1te anglers who would starve to death if fishing for self preservation, or we're all somehow collectively missing the best fishing Dublin has ever offered!

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 pm

GKC0806 wrote:Popped into the local (fishing tackle supplier*) (*Identity and exact nature of the shop not disclosed to protect the owner!) in Co.Dublin (location protected), and asked the owner what the sea fishing has been like recently in the area.
Guidance was that the Mackerel and Pollack were swarming as thick as sardines all the way from Howth to Killiney and all available on feathers from the shore.
From his description one could imagine barrel loads of absolute slabs - King Mackerel size no less.
So either everyone on this site (will count myself in on this category) are completely Sh1te anglers who would starve to death if fishing for self preservation, or we're all somehow collectively missing the best fishing Dublin has ever offered!

Did it make you want to buy several different types of feathers?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:34 am

Hi Gonzo, that's a hoot. I thought the same thing - but felt that was quite a deceitful bit of advice he was offering. If anything i'm now certainly not inclined to want to take any tips or buy any supplies from the individual. If he had been honest and maybe said "look, the intel I have from local folk who are spending some time on the water, is that it's still challenging, and only a scattered few have been coming out from the shore on feathers (...and possibly add, at ...tide, ...depth, ...hours, ...locations..), and from what i know, there's a particular colour scheme/pattern that seems to be working right now..." then perhaps he may have been more believable and i might have purchased some his feathers.
As it stands right now, I'm more inclined to just get my fly-tying boxes out and whip up a few of my own dandy feather patterns.

Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:40 am

A coupe of dozen caught on incoming tide by 6-8 anglers on bull wall yesterday morning. None on incoming last night but only 3 fishing when I left.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi we're they fishing towards city side or the beach side I have seen them caught before down by the bridge

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Red lighthouse on Sandymount beach side

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:09 pm

Sorry Poolbeg.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:45 pm

Few being reported out in Carraroe

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Saw 2 caught in Skerries today, medium sized fish.

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Quite a lot of medium/large macs off Poolbeg yesterday, seen a few guys leaving with plenty for a family BBQ :)

I've arrived a bit late and only caught a largeish one, but she fought so hard I thought I'm pulling a decent bass :D

1.5-1h before the high tide was apparently the right time.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:43 pm

Few in Kinvarra bay

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:19 pm

Nada, Zilch, Not a peep :cry: Howth Head, Monday 22 June, few hours either side of high tide. Brisk easterly breeze, Sea conditions fairly rough. Probably not ideal for mack fishing. Seals laughing at me. Lovely day otherwise. Somebody somewhere loves a trier. :lol:

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:53 pm

a few singles at killary, not worth the journey on its own yet

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:02 am

Plenty of mackerel here in mid/west Waterford. More so off the boats but we're getting plenty off the shore the last fortnight too.

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:29 am

Nothing in Howth yesterday, but there was a lot of chop and the wind was blowing a gale

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:09 am

Got one mackerel off Skerries pier this morning at 4am, about 1.5hrs to high tide. Was using orange bunty tubes, fished up to high tide but only got the one!

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:14 pm

Fair play to ye your dedicated