The Telegraph Pole, Howth, Report

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:54 pm

Telegraph Pole, Howth, Sunday 4th April 2004, 12.00 - 6.00 pm Bait: Mackerel, Mussell, Rag, Lug, Whites, Squid

When myself and two mates reached the Telegraph pole we found it so windy we decided to fish a more sheltered rock just around the corner by the old swimming pool. After two casts and all of us losing gear we headed back to face the wind at the telegraph pole. We managed to survive through about ten seperate storms but caught not one fish and the bites were undectectable as our rod tips were going wild in the wind! Not even snake whites could save the day! As we headed home at low tide we noticed the mark we had started fishing was a landscape of the foulest ground I have ever seen! We agreed that its better leaving the telegraph pole until the summer.

Has any one ever had luck here during winter/spring time of year?

The Pole

Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:03 pm

I went there once in February when it was blowing a gale - same as you, couldn't detect the bites and blanked.

Went again early March on a beautiful day - it was so warm I was just in a t-shirt! Blanked again. Even the crabs weren't interested.

Fished with Rag, Lug, Mussel cocktails tipped with squid. Only fished with pulley rigs as I didn't know what the ground was like.

One day.............. :cry:

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:49 pm

i had a codling fishing near the old swimming last summer. only a pound and a half. nice too catch codling when the sea is calm and the sun is beaming. caught at about 100+ using peeler for bait. missed a bite aswell. i reckomend heavy line here! however the further u cast the cleaner the ground seems to get, on a calm day u can see the sand patchesout past the kelp, rocks, etc. u would think there would be more wrasse here though.....tried the same spot (and the telegraph pole) in rough seas over christmas. Nothing....i tried fishing close in near the rough stuff and blasting mussel baits the size of a tennis balls as far as i could. oh, and i fished murky brown seas into darkness. i have been conned into fishing here during the week and will post a report. i have caught loner dogfish in march from the telegraph pole. came accross another angler a few years back. he was experienced, peeler baits at 100yards. told me the codling go to 2 1/2 pound/ odd pollack (which my mate has caught there)/ and doggies, lots! i did witness a seal pull up a large flattie in front of me in march. i wasn't fishing at the time but went back a few days later. i didn't catch a flattie though. just another lonely doggie!

Telegraph pole

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:09 am

I've fished here a couple of times and blanked each time. My friend did pull out a 0.5 pound pollack once, but thats it.

I'm not overly keen on the place. I prefer a spot about 500 yards down towards sutton (the path leads to the bottom of a large hill, if you walk up over the top of the hill there are rock platforms over the other side). It's a nice spot in summer as no one can see you and annoy you with the usual "you'll get nothing here", while their dog eats/pi**es on your bait.

There are plenty of doggies to be found there, nothing special I know, but it beats blanking!

The whole area between Redrock and the Lions head really interests me. I know bass are caught along this stretch, and I've seen numerous people plugging here. I'm never really given the bass a go there, so I will be concentrating most of my fishing time plugging here during the summer.

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:11 am

I have to agree lads. I have only ever caught a few mackeral from this spot. I practically grew up on that beach, swimming every single day during the holidays. On real low springs there is nothing but rocks, but not even any weed, so I doubt there is enough food stuff to keep any fish interested.
JK

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 am

Quite right Steve, theres some damn good bass fishing at the Redrock mark at low water when plugging (seems to work exceptionally well at this spot) or using peelers. Perfect hunting ground for them, rocky, lots of weed and often good surf.

bass

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:16 pm

Have many of ye caught Bass around Howth and if so was bait or lure fishing better?

Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:15 pm

George i fished the Telegraph Pole yesterday- nothing happening. tried rag/ mackeral/ sandeel cocktails for one off doggies. tried various ranges from the rocks at my feet to 100 yards. wouldn't bother fishing here for a month or two when the wrasse start to show. i will be in a bad mood for a week now........