mullet from the liffey

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:56 pm

I'd be interested if anyone has any tips or advice for fishing the liffey around the dublin area? Is it a viable area to target them, and are there flounder about aswell? Rigs, hotspots, etc would all be greatly appreciated.
I'd also be interested in any Dab marks with easy public transport access.
Many thanks people

Mullet

Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:39 pm

Fish behind Heuston Station with Bread Bait during the summer for some big mullet.

Mullet

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:06 am

The power station outlet at Poolbeg is a noted mullet spot.

The Wooden Bridge in Clontarf also has large shoals of mullet in the summer. No-one ever seems to fish for them either so it might be worth trying here. If you have no car the 130 bus from Abbey Street will drop you right at the bridge.

You can also try fishing from the statue at the end of the beach for flounder (fish onto the beach on the lefthandside).

Mullet

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:54 am

SOD has caught big mullet at the wooden bridge and knows alot about fishing it. He might give you some info.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:55 pm

The mullet at the wooden bridge gather around the supports of the bridge at low water . This is when I caught my biggest fish . As the tide moves in they move up the estuary towards where the St Annes river enters . They also congregate around the salt marshes at the causway and behind the golf course . Best baits are bread or small madies . If you are fishing from the bridge itself dont forget the dropnet .

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:53 pm

u can use the tail ends of king ragworm too/ or instead of maddies. the last inch or two (the soft part). have caught good mullet on this bait before from dollymount......up to 7pound. there are bigger there though. using the tench fishermans 'lift method' is enjoyable and it stops the float drifting in the wind. this is good when you can see the fish and dropping a bait in front of them. otherwise you are asking for crabs..

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:24 pm

Whats a maddie?

Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:20 pm

Here's a link to the "Bait's" section of the site......explains all.
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bait ... %20rag.htm

Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:27 pm

Duh :oops:

thanks

Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:12 pm

Many thanks people.
SOD, is it better to fish from the bridge at clontarf than the bank? and is there somewhere i can get down to the waters edge as i'm flying in and my drop net is rather large for the plane :wink:

Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:14 pm

many thanks people.
SOD, is it possible to fish from the bank at clontarf or is the fishing better from the bridge itself? I'm going to struggle to bring my drop net on the plane as it's rather large, so is there bank access for landing fish?
thanks again

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:35 pm

Its possible to fish from the bank from the causeway and opposite St Annes park . If you decide to fish from the bridge there is steps down to the water on either side as you cross the bridge .