red bay co. antrim saturday 29th january

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:31 pm

People: me and junior

Duration: 4pm - 10pm

Tide: HW 7.15pm

Weather: dry, windy but warm enough for a change

Bait: rag and mack

Rigs: 3 hook flappers

Results: ME - 14 coalfish, 2 codling, 6 whiting, 2 dab, 1 doggie and a 5 beardy JORDAN - 22 coalfish, 1 codling and a pollack

Report:

well it was the weekend again and time for jordan to get his fishing fix. so a run up the antrim coast was in order. things did'nt get off to a good start as our first intended spot was 2 feet deep in kelp at the high tide line and to be honest nothing kills the fun out of a session like having to pull kilos of weed from your gear at every cast. so it was off to our tried and tested back up mark as it always fishes well. sadly that got knocked on the head too as the place was packed when we arrived :roll: :roll: . so onto mark 3 and 4 which it turned out already both had lads fishing away at them :( :( . so a rethink was in order and we decided on a spot we've never fished before, but always said we'd like to. so we both got 2 rods out each in the usual manner. 1 at distance and 1 in close. this has been a tried and tested method of our for the last few years and always seems to do well covering as much ground as possible finding the fish. things looked promising too as jordans first cast got him a double shot of coalies both over 30cms. so he was happy to be getting a bit of coaley bashing in :D . so the ever present coalies kept us busy all night with a nice mix of other species showing up too. i got a few tea bag sized dabs and little codlets :oops: but was wanting something that would at least put a bit of a bend in my daiwa longbeam at range. thankfully a doggie sniffed out the big chunks of mack on my flapper rig and paid us a visit. i was chuffed as i love catching them and have'nt had one in a while. so he was a welcome addition to the tally and not a bad one either weighing in at 2lb on the nose :P . as we got towards the end of the session the wind picked up gusting at about 20mph making bite detection a hassle. so i went down to i rod and just fished over the edge getting a wee 5 beardy which was nice to see. so all in all another nice session with plenty to keep us entertained and my blank from donaghadee during the week firmly put to rest. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: red bay co. antrim saturday 29th january

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 pm

last pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:41 pm

As ever, a great report with plenty of Info! Sounds like a dead on session! Sounds like the Antrim Coast was busy enough las night! :shock:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm

A very nice way to come back from the blank Al. Well done you two. :D :D :D

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 pm

well done boys again.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Good session guys well done 8) I'll have to sneak out myself again during the week for a cast :wink:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:29 pm

respectable session for a new mark 8) and a dogfish we dont see many of them about here in the cold weather :!:

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:32 pm

well done ye 2 again.i bet ur glad u got a cast in because i dont think its too nice from 2mor on.well done

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:55 pm

Looks like a nice mark, secret? :lol:

ps:Nice mark = no rocks to break bones on :P

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:08 pm

Beachbrat666 wrote:ps:Nice mark = no rocks to break bones on :P

how is the foot healing?
you must be almost back to normal by now?

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:39 pm

another great report lads well done nice session

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:41 am

great report al and its good to see that the new mark fished well for yourself and jordan

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 am

yngkmd wrote:
Beachbrat666 wrote:ps:Nice mark = no rocks to break bones on :P

how is the foot healing?
you must be almost back to normal by now?

Yep. Back to work in november,have been out fishing a few times,was doing a bit of fly fishing at raloo yesterday.

Tide times looking good this weekend too :d

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 am

Fine load of fish there again 8) well done lads

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53 am

Well done, nice report and fine pics, nice and clear!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 pm

well done, plenty of fish there!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 pm

50 fish between the two of yis, that a nice comeback from the blank Al, and well done to Jordan on the double coalie over 30cms :shock: .Thats a nice doggie, but put the codling at the start of the measure and dont be trying to stretch him to 23cms :lol: , and theres not a teatowel in sight :roll: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:44 pm

another great report there Al. and great pictures too.
hey, i was at the other side of the bay during that time! was on my own and thought i'd give it a try but i just couldnt get myself warmed up! :roll: i cast out 2 rods and nothing for 30mins. then a series of tiny bits, non-stop. eventually i pulled in a wee coley. the tiny wee bites continued (im guessing from your report that they were small coley and/or whiting) but i didnt hook much. at this stage i headed to the car to THAW the hands and warm myself up. ended up sitting in the car for over half an hour with the heat on. :? freezing night :mrgreen:
came back down to the rods and reeled in a doggy. was pleased to see it. fished for a little more then packed up.
thats my report..
one of them nights, motivation wasnt there and just found it too cold (it was actually +5*C which isnt too bad!, but anyway).
so headed towards base lookin out for other anglers. saw people, which i now know to have been yourselves, from the main road. :) looks like yous had a much better session. nice1

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 pm

great stuff big man and little man, busy session on a new mark, you be back i think , well done
8)

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Well done Al and Jordan. The definition on your camera is great! Great clarity in the colours of the fish and background.