Howth East Pier

Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:17 am

God, it seems like years since I last went Mackie bashing, I don't know why I left it that long, I had a ball last night!

Lost count of how many I caught but it must have been over 20, plus 5 pollack. As darkness set in the fish were jumping out of the water no more than five yards out. I was using very light tackle, and the fight each fish gave was absolutely incredible.

Heading down to Wexford for a few days fishing with the lads this weekend, so kept 5 for bait. All the others were released unharmed.

Not bad for an unplanned 90 minutes fishing!

Where on the East peir

Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:39 pm

Hi,
Can someone tell me exactly where on the East pier you fish from. hoping to bring the young lad out at the weekend , a few macks would make his day.

thanks.
J

Howth Pier

Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:32 am

Either pier will do to be honest but the far one is much less busy (it's a longer walk to get to it). Just head into Howth Village and go straight to the end of the road. Park beside the public toilets (opposite the King Citric restaurant), and walk up the pier until you reach the lighthouse.

A word of warning - there are several lobster/crab pots on the right hand side. Don't fish this side as the pots are all connected by ropes and you will lose a lot of gear. Fish just to the left of the outermost pot and you should score - especially in the 45 minutes before darkness.

If you have a young kid who is not great at casting, it might be worth setting him up for some float fishing - this was still catch mackeral but will also take pout and pollack. Mackeral strip or ragworm are the best baits to use.

Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:17 am

cheers Steve.