Wrasse fishing Bangor pier .Co. Down

Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:36 pm

fished the breakwater for wrasse saturday and sunday biggest was 3lb 10 oz we had around thirty wrasse in total average weight 1.5lb four of the fish were over 3lb .
We were using carp/pike rods and rag worm and hard back crabs as bait lost some good fish on the crab ,think this might have been down to the hook being masked by the bait.

Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:57 pm

Hi Ronald

Had this problem myself when using hardbacks and it is solved in two ways. I think it was Donagh who put me on to these tactics...

First stick the hook in through a leg joint and out of the main carapace and secondly secure it with a tiny bit of heavy duty elastic band, cut to fit, which goes down over the barb, secures the bait in place and keeps the barb free.

Off to Achill for some late season wrassing if my foot doesn't buckle!

HTH

Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:21 pm

Thanks for the tips Kieran ,will give that a try this weekend ,heading donegal direction to try for the rays , might try and squeeze in some wrasse fishing at fanad head while i'm up that direction . :)

Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:37 am

Ronald, can you point me in the General direction you were fishing off Bangor.... I heard the Pier at Pickie was good for 'em.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:51 am

Hi k2
pickie seems the only place to fish at the min ,try up at the end of the pier ,fish around the concrete holes about twenty -thirty feet out ,best to use a rotten bottom then a snood 2 1/2 feet above that 1/0 hook with either crab or rag-worm .
fishing around the piles is pretty good as well .