Dunmore head-Dingle-Sept 10

Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:41 am

Sorry for the late report- been over to blighty and back.
Fished dunmore head in bright sunshine with an easterly wind. The target some lure fishing for pollock and mackerel for me tea.
Fished 10 -4 high tide at 1. I had the poorest fishing Ive had at this mark since my one blank here in early may. In total 4 pollock and 4 mackerel. Very strange as this mark had been producing outstanding pollock fishing. Largest pollock a mere 3 1/2 pounder. Very few bites. Dave and I have had in excess of 30 pollock in a session here in the past, so I was at a loss as to the poor fishing.
I moved around to trabeg in search of an errant bass, but in the bright sunshine didnt hold out much hope. Water clarity was amazing.I was treated to the sight of a shoal of silvery fish in the 3-5 lb range constantly passing my rock mark, but couldnt make out whether they were bass or mullet. Either way, they were uninterested in lures.

On a side note-much respect to the continental looking couple shagging in a hollow on the face of dunmore head- I didnt know who was more embarassed, them or me as I had to pass right by them on the path down the cliff face-Im used to natures glory in Dingle, but this made a change from frollicking dolphins
Kev

Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:48 am

Hi Kev,
You actually gave the reason why the fishing was so bad in the report, twas the East wind, kills the fishing on the west coast, Luke confirmed the same for the east coast and Jim from Cork provided a saying that went something like "When the winds from the east the east the fish bite least"
East wind seems to kill the fishing all around the coast, It doesn't appear to effect sex drive though :shock: :D :D