Switch to full style
Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!
Post a reply

underwater view of flounders

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Interesting video...
https://youtu.be/VtdaE_XFEW4

Re: underwater view of flounders

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Fished for those flounders on holidays in states with bucktails. Very predatory fish and a different species to the flounder we have.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:32 pm

ecleary wrote:Fished for those flounders on holidays in states with bucktails. Very predatory fish and a different species to the flounder we have.

cool
whereabouts did you get them ecleary, New York? were there lots of numbers of them and did you get any good sized ones?

Killary wrote:Interesting video...

great video Killary, have watched a lot of videos from that guy John Skinner.
if only we got flounder to that size here! :) fantastic fish
Last edited by chuckaroo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Yeah, New Jersey. There is some good fishing there and the fishery is very well managed. They are significantly bigger than our flounders too so good sport on a spinning rod.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Long Island sound has lots of them average weight 12 lb and they grow up to 49/50 lb never caught one that size but plenty 10/18 lb ers

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:21 pm

ecleary wrote:Yeah, New Jersey. There is some good fishing there and the fishery is very well managed. They are significantly bigger than our flounders too so good sport on a spinning rod.
thanks ecleary
what do you mean the fishery is well managed - are you saying that the flounder are protected? is permission needed to fish for them?
and where did you fish exactly? if you don't mind me asking.
Yeah, Long Island Sound where your man Skinner fishes certainly seems to be productive!
i might have to get the next flight to New York, lol. Maybe fly with United Airlines..

mickser wrote:Long Island sound has lots of them average weight 12 lb and they grow up to 49/50 lb never caught one that size but plenty 10/18 lb ers
mickser they sound like monsters! are we talking about the same species and not halibut??
I'm struggling to see any flounder/fluke species that reach those proportions..: http://www.fishbase.org/ComNames/Common ... chList.php
would love to have a try for them
cheers

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:15 pm

chuckaroo wrote:what do you mean the fishery is well managed - are you saying that the flounder are protected? is permission needed to fish for them?

Well they have minimum size and bag limits for a range of fish including fluke. You also need to register to fish, which was free from memory. I was in wildwood; I don't think it's a hot spot or anything like that but got a plenty of flounder there at 3 to 5 lb size. All on bucktails.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 pm

ecleary wrote:
chuckaroo wrote:what do you mean the fishery is well managed - are you saying that the flounder are protected? is permission needed to fish for them?

Well they have minimum size and bag limits for a range of fish including fluke. You also need to register to fish, which was free from memory. I was in wildwood; I don't think it's a hot spot or anything like that but got a plenty of flounder there at 3 to 5 lb size. All on bucktails.
wow, wish I had known they were there when I was in wildwood 20 odd years ago!
All I ended up catching was small sharks from the north end :roll:
Post a reply