Fishing Line weight and colour advice

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Fishing Line weight and colour advice

Postby Striker » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Hey guys,

This is something thats always confused me. What is the best size fishing Line to use? and for what situations?

If i am fishing for pollack or Bass or something big say 5-8 pounds, what would be the best Line weight to use? Because the standard like you usually see in a tackle store is 20-40lbs but do you need that? Wouldn't 5-10 suffice?

And does the colour matter much?

In what situations would you need to use a particular line weight?

Any advice is welcomed :)

Thanks
Striker
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Fishing Line weight and colour advice

Postby ecleary » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:29 pm

I still a relative newcomer to this sport but you need to balance your tackle with the conditions you are fishing in. Light line should be used with a suitable rated rod, reel, lure, float, weight, etc; otherwise you'll have loads of break-offs and lost fish.

If you are pulling 5-8 lb pollock off a rock mark then 20lb is the minimum IMO. 40lb would be better if you could get away with it.

If you have a mark with nothing to snag off and can easily net the fish then you might get away with 8-10lbs; even for big fish if your tackle is balanced.

Colour I'm not to sure about but clear is a safe option if you don't know i guess.
ecleary
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 43 times

Re: Fishing Line weight and colour advice

Postby jw » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:25 am

i would like to use as light as you can get away with *without* losing any fish you hook up,
it's generally more sport as you can use a lighter, smaller reel and rod
also can cast a given weight a longer distance which is also a plus sometimes.

also some species shy away from unfamiliar stuff in their vicinity and are less lightly
to be spooked by lighter material

the problem is as it's used line inevitably gets abrasion from rubbing of rocks, weeds etc
and weakened, so you will need to change it frequently

6lb line would be weakened very quickly so would be too weak for gerenal shore fishing,
could be used for float fishing for mullet which are notoriously shy

15 or 20lb line could be used for a lot of situations, if you go up to 40lb, even dragging
fish deadweight over rock etc, will not break
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers