How to keep ragworm

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Which is the best way to keep rag for as long as possible?

Re: How to keep ragworm

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:13 am

sea peat if ur lucky enough to know where ud get some........... :roll: :wink:

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:42 am

I put them in trays and cover them with a thin layer of sea water and keep them in a fridge.
With a bit of care and attention you could have them for weeks

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:41 pm

donal domeney wrote:I put them in trays and cover them with a thin layer of sea water and keep them in a fridge.

+1

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:45 pm

just change papers 1-2 times daily
and always separate the dead and the live ones

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Do as Donal Says :) Just don't forget to remove any dead or dying worms. Change the water once a day for the first few days. After that you will get away with a water change every 2 or 3 days.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:58 pm

MAC wrote:Do as Donal Says :) Just don't forget to remove any dead or dying worms. Change the water once a day for the first few days. After that you will get away with a water change every 2 or 3 days.

Do i put paper over the tray or just a tray with water and if i bring a few litres of sea water home and keep it out the back garden would that be ok or would it have to be fresh sea water? Thanks

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Keep the sea water in a bottle in the fridge with the worms so its the same tempreture

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm

keith wrote:Keep the sea water in a bottle in the fridge with the worms so its the same tempreture

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:39 pm

peat and sea water, keep the peat nice and moist and change every 2 days, make sure they are in a dark cool place at all times, take any dead ones out every day.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 pm

donal domeney wrote:I put them in trays and cover them with a thin layer of sea water and keep them in a fridge.

this way works best for me but change the water every day or 2

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 am

There's a good article in this month's Irish Angler's Digest about live bait and how to keep them.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:34 pm

Here is something I use to do, after digging worms I would collect some sandstone from the beach and crush it, i would then transfer the worms in to this and they would stay fresh for a couple of days, after that I would transfer them to water in the fridge and they would then last about a week, you have to change the water as normal. I found less worms died this way.