Fishing into the wind, South Wexford-13th, 14th and 15th Nov

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:55 am

People: Corbyeire, Jacko1986, Chuckaroo and myself.
Weather: Surprisingly little rain but very windy.
Bait: crab, lug, wraps, mac and herring sprat.
Rigs: Flappers.

The planned weekend of fishing had arrived and the prayers had been offered up to the fishing Gods that the weather would break. It was clear by Wednesday that wasn't going to happen. To go or not to go was the question? The bait was ordered, the B&B was booked and the ‘pass’ had been secured- we were going!!
Arrived down on Friday and after a quick bag drop at the B&B and a bite to eat I met Corbyeire at a nearby pier mark. The wind wasn’t as bad as expected and the rain didn’t materialise, so all-in-all it was comfortable enough. With the unsettled weather our targets had shifted a bit from earlier in the week- flounder would be the main target and if a bonus codling turned up then all the better. We knew we’d be restricted with marks as we’d have to avoid weed in the strong winds. Corby reported a steady stream of small codling and some decent dabs when I arrived and that’s how it continued for both of us. Jacko1986 joined us later and immediately got into action with more dabs, codling and a couple of rockling. After a few hours the fishing slowed and we decided we wouldn’t flog ourselves on the first night, so we made the short drive back to the accommodation and strolled to the pub for a few late pints. O’Hara’s stout-very tasty!
Saturday morning arrived with the wind still howling and after a bit of deliberation on a mark and a good fry-up we were set for the day. We arrived with the tide just into the drop and the rain coming in sideways  The gusts of wind made for tough progress with the gear on our backs but we managed to get set-up and got some good shelter behind a grass bank with the rods up on top within view, not that bite detection was going to be a major factor! We fished the dropping tide for the next four hours or so and tried to explore the gullies and channels as they became more exposed. This yielded a single flounder each for Corby and Jack with a blank for me-the fishing was slow but the craic was good. After a break for a few hours and a bit of refuelling we decided that having sussed the mark out fairly well earlier we would return to exactly the same spot and fish it into darkness on a rising tide. The wind had picked up a lot by now and even casting was tricky with more than a few stumbles backwards but the combination of dark and stage of tide did produce a few more fish- two flounder and a silver eel each for the lads and four flounder and a coley for me. The Coley came in with a lump of weed covering it and I was sure I had a schoolie bass when I saw the silver tail but not to be. Fish of the day went to Corbyeire with a 35 cm flounder, not big for this location but given the conditions a fair result. Back to the B&B then for a clean-up and down to the pub to meet Chuckaroo who had just arrived earlier that evening. Cue more pints and a few whiskeys to help us off to sleep.
Sunday morning arrived and if anything it was blowing up worse than Saturday. Jacko1986 had to head home at this stage and with Chuckaroo opting for another hour in bed, Corby and myself decided that a handy daylight session off the local pier was the answer and might offer some protection from the wind. That it did and we managed a quite productive session with 9 flounder in the 24-28cm bracket for me and 6 for Corby with the best fish again going to him at 30cm. A few small codling also turned up. A few fish each fell to herring sprat found in the fish boxes on the pier so that mark served us very well in the high winds.
At that stage it was time to hit the road for home for me. Corbyeire and Chuckaroo stayed on that evening at the mark we fished the previous day, but only a silver eel to report in the very rough conditions. A short session on Monday morning/ afternoon didn’t produce anything other than a small flounder.
Despite the wind we still managed to scratch out a few fish and a good bit of craic was had. Good to meet up with the lads again-our next trip to South Wexford might be in summer though!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Fishing into the wind, South Wexford-13th, 14th and 15th

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Good write up there it was an enjoyable weekend. I've deffo got the sea fishing bug back. Just have to find some time for some other trips.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Well written report, thanks for the effort
Have to say the Sunday night was near impossible to fish - the odd bit of weed being launched in the swell and hitting you in the face

it was good craic all the same and I think we did well to find a few fish in the middle of all the wind and rain

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Well done lads, must have been tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Cracking report

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:53 am

Summed up well Robin, nice report

I fished in earnest (3 rods) at the mark on Monday but it was a no-go. The water was cloudy and choppy, it just seemed devoid of life..
Still good to have met up. Enjoyed the craic. Good to be 'at it' despite the horrendous conditions. There's always next year!
Great pic of Brian at the end there

Ps. Herring fry and sprat: Closely related but two different species. Just saying! :wink: :)
Pps. I'm regretting not wetting a line on that pier now!.. :D

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:31 am

Brave souls, fair play.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:07 am

chuckaroo wrote: Still good to have met up. Enjoyed the craic. Good to be 'at it' despite the horrendous conditions. There's always next year!

Ps. Herring fry and sprat: Closely related but two different species. Just saying! :wink: :)
Pps. I'm regretting not wetting a line on that pier now!.. :D

We'll get out there again Charlie. That pier seems a great mark for a flattie bash! As for the fry/sprat I'll have to study the ID book more closely!

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Great report Sweetwrasse and some decent fishing despite the conditions. Organising a get-together always leaves you at the mercy of the weather. @ Chuckaroo, Antrim vs Wexford; a long way to go for an extra hour in bed and just like the hurling, Wexford usually wins...

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:21 pm

johnwest wrote:Great report Sweetwrasse and some decent fishing despite the conditions. Organising a get-together always leaves you at the mercy of the weather. @ Chuckaroo, Antrim vs Wexford; a long way to go for an extra hour in bed and just like the hurling, Wexford usually wins...

lol, very good jw!
an extra hour in bed because there was no rush heading out into that hurricane! oh yeah, and i had a bit of a head at me :mrgreen:

ref hurling: i know a few men who'd take exception t that!.. (not me) lol

also, fishing wise: it was Antrim vs Donegal vs Galway vs Dublin :lol: the 4 corners of the country!
(Antrim usually wins in this case too :wink: )

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:13 pm

One of the few pics I took last weekend.. A nice little double for sweetwrasse from the pier. 2 tones
P1000827.JPG

And a fish that I caught yesterday from a local mark fwiw. The first fish that I have caught in ages!..
plump 26cm flounder
P1000847.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.