Little and Large,,,Wicklow Rocks and Beach, 21 and 22 June

Postby eyesreilly » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:25 pm

People:me

Duration:Sat night 6pm-11pm,,,Sun night 7pm-10-30pm

Tide:rising into darkness both nights

Weather:glorious

Bait:Sat night peeler crab,,Sun night peeler claws and rag, mack

Rigs:pulleys for smoothies and mini rigs on Sunday night

Results:Sat,,,Flounder and 4 smoothies,,,,Sun evening ,,Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Whiting, Pollock, Codling and Short Spined Sea Scorpion

Report:Headed to a Wicklow beach mark for Smoothies on Saturday evening. With the good weather, potential marks were all well populated with Anglers, Campers and the like ,,so it was with trepidation that I approached my proposed mark :roll: ,,,but the little pull in where you park was free,,happy days :lol: . I got my gear unloaded and made my way onto the beach,,,where I found a tent which had been set up and apparently abandoned :shock: ,,,,but the mystery was solved when a pair of star crossed lovers arrived back with provisions and found me settling in for the evening on their secluded slice of paradise. My greeting of "How-a-yis",,was met with deafening silence so I concentrated of treating them to an exhibition of Smoothie bashing :wink: Unfortunately the Smoothies weren't playing ball and when I finally got a thump which lifted the rod off the ground, I reeled in to find my trace had been bitten off, with just the pulley bead remaining :shock: Tope :?: :?: By the time the Smoothies arrived I was running out of bait and the smoke from the campfire was starting to drift towards me. I landed 4 ,,,,all smallish,,,,large doggie size. I also landed a nice flounder, which took my crab on a pennell pulley. I left at 11pm and noticed that all the anglers were still about,,,a sure sign that the fish were starting to show with darkness. Note to self : arrive later and stay later :roll: To end on a positive,,,at least I have mastered the timer function on my camera so if the impossible happens and I land a whopper ,,,,I should be able to get a piccie :wink:

Sunday evening Greystones Rocks
I decided to go light on Sunday evening and do a bit of minibashing/Light Rock Fishing. I had some peeler claws and legs and also some rag so I headed down to the rocks for the evening rising tide ,,HW 9pm approx. I also brought some jellyworms and also some 2 hook mini rigs. I was here the previous Monday during daylight and although I had a few fish it was a bit disappointing. I also dropped in to Gotcha Angling and got some bargains and advice from John. It's well worth a look around his well stocked shop :wink: I cast out a small jellyworm ,tipped with a piece of rag and got bites straight away, picking us some corkwing wrasse. I even tried the jellyworm without the rag,,which I find hard to do,,,and lo and behold,, a nice little wrasse. This was to be the pattern for the evening,,,bait up ,,,cast out,,,pluck pluck,,,bang,,,fish on. I had Corkwing wrasse, Ballan wrasse,,,pollock, Short Spined Sea Scorpions in close and when I cast out a bit further I hit into some codling ,,,mid to late twenties cms. Nice busy ,handy fishing and I was glad I gave the Harbour a miss for a change,,,as it was easier to land and return the fish from the rocks. Note to self :I really will have to bring just the one rod with me in future when minibashing. As much as I love the smoothies, I have to admit I really enjoy minibashing when the fish bite as soon as the bait hits the water.

Species '20 (14) 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Codling, Whiting, Pollock, Coalfish, Pouting, Corkwing Wrasse ,Ballan Wrasse, Poor Cod, Dab ,Smoothhound,Flounder, Thornback Ray

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING! --

For this message the author eyesreilly has received thanks: 3
Moody Marlin (Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:46 am), Sweetwrasse (Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:00 am), TropicThunder (Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:41 pm)
eyesreilly
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 463 times
Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Little and Large,,,Wicklow Rocks and Beach, 21 and 22 Ju

Postby fishface » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 am

well done :D :D not a monthly report winner I fear ,but that's because I was not with you :lol: :lol:
with friends like mine ----who needs enemies
fishface
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 77 times

Postby eyesreilly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:58 am

fishface wrote:well done :D :D not a monthly report winner I fear ,but that's because I was not with you :lol: :lol:

65 views and then a comment,,,,,and it has to be a smart@ss one from you :roll:
Species '20 (14) 5 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Codling, Whiting, Pollock, Coalfish, Pouting, Corkwing Wrasse ,Ballan Wrasse, Poor Cod, Dab ,Smoothhound,Flounder, Thornback Ray

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING! --
eyesreilly
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 463 times
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby sea serpant » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Nice selection of species fairplay

For this message the author sea serpant has received thanks:
eyesreilly (Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:05 pm)
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!