Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:49 pm

People: Myself and mate

Duration: 2 nights

Tide: last hour of rise and 2 into drop

Weather: Showery

Bait: Lures

Rigs: NA

Report:

I amazingly convinced my better half that a week in Kerry in the same place I fish would be a great place for a family week off. We booked the house and convinced friends of ours to come along with their kid. So the downside was that Bass were off the target species but no big deal really. Target species would be Pollock, Sea Trout, macks, anything that would take a lure really. It was a family holiday so wouldn’t be doing that much fishing but anything would be a bonus.

My mate had never fished before so I brought along a SG Bushwacker 10-40 for him and an Exage 4000. The first session was an afternoon stroll along the beach with the kids and we brought the rods. It was really a learn how to cast for Wayne. To be fair he got it pretty fast and in no time was casting out a decent distance, not the prettiest cast ever but they all count.
A few days pass and we got the green light to head out after dinner. I chose a mark I have caught 1 bass from in 20 years so I figured it was safe enough. Conditions were not ideal either. Low pressure, easterly winds, neap tide. I set Wayne up on a rock about 15 ft away from me and told him to keep the rod up and there was a chance of Pollock and mackerel at darkness.

I was using an Illex S210 m and Shimano 2500 class reel with 20Ib braid. I chose a small metal lure to try to get out to the reef I knew was there to target Pollock. I get down to the beach and there are decent sized sandeels washed up on the shore..! Started to get a bit excited..! Almost immediately I start getting hits and soon enough brought a small Pollock to shore. The numbers quickly started adding up, small fish though but half decent sport on the light tackle. Just then I hear a shout from Wayne and look over to see a large fish thrashing the surface and turning the water white. The rod was doubled over and getting some stick. I put down my rod and tried to get over to him asap. My first thoughts were it was a big bass. I was shouting at him to relax but in slow motion he started to try to lift the fish from the water. Just as I got there the fish threw the lure and into the rock pool in front of us. A wave quickly followed and blurred our vision. Fish gone. Speechless we stood there when something caught my eye and behind us the fish had beached itself..! What a stonking Sea Trout. At least 6Ib. Before I could get to it the next wave covered it and it was gone. Gutted…! His first fish and it was a cracker. I wouldn’t have let him keep it for a number of obvious reasons but a pic with it would have been priceless.

Back to fishing a few mins later and im on the Pollock again. Lots to hits, rattles, losing fish half way in etc, place was alive. On one retrieve I get a proper hit and the rod starts to bounce. I know this all too well and couldn’t believe it was a bass. Only about 2Ib. Returned immediately. What were the chances..! This is a deep water Pollock and wrasse mark and as God is my witness I have caught one bass here before years ago. Figured I was safe but anyway these things happen. As darkness approached we started getting macks and Wayne got two which he was delighted with. No consolation really. He said nothing was like the power of the fish he lost.

Without boring you to tears we got out another night and the same thing. All Pollock and macks. Thankfully no bass and unfortunately that big trout didn’t come back.
But Kerry was alive with fish and the difference in water temp in 1 month clearly made a big difference.
I wasn’t going to post a catch report but its dead as a dodo so I figured I would. I would say I lost twice as many fish as I landed over the 2 nights and I landed just under 30 fish.
Great sport on light tackle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Avoiding Bass in Kerry..?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Nice report man

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:28 pm

Was that lure a kilty, or similar?

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Maria mucho lucir in blue and green.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:37 pm

ya gave it a good lash eoghan fair play and good read laad

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:43 am

Sounds like you were in the thick of it Eoghan, baptism of fire for your buddy; nice fishing lads.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Great read mate and well done on a few lively sessions 8) Very hard luck on the big trout.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Nice fishing Eoghan!

Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Sea trout.....sigh......how many hearts have they broken. I lost a huge one before which my Brother in Law still reminds me to this day of.
He estimated it close to 9 pound and it probably wasnt far off. Still have nightmares.

But how about an approx 6Ib for your first fish and your first lesson. Would have loved a pic of it. :-(

Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:30 am

we were over for the Rays in Tralee Bay a couple of weeks ago and I had seven Bass I think during the week , biggest 6lb 5oz , another 4lb , two at 3lb and three 1.5-2.5lb all on Crab or Mackerel. Last two or three years has really seen a marked increase in Bass numbers when we have been fishing.