Thu May 15, 2014 10:51 pm

People: me

Duration: 2 h

Tide:high

Weather: beautiful ,clear and sunny

Bait: Wave Work, SlugGo and Feed Shallow

Results: Bass!! approx 45-50 cm

Report:

So decided to get a last session in before the ban. Arrived at the mark about forty minutes before high tide, saw one angler on the rocks and met another as I was tackling up.

So I started out with weedless soft plastics, first a white wave worm. After a few minutes the spot I was in on the beach started to get hit by a lot of fine weed so moved down a little. No joy, so decided to give the SlugGo a try. Doesnt cast just as well as the wave work but has a great action on the retreive if you give little twitches. I like the look of these lures and will definitely try them again.

So I moved to a raised rocky outcrop and decided I may as well try the famed Feed Shallow (Some of you may have seen a thread on the lure section enquiring about the best colour/size). The one I ended up getting was a #09 Slit HG Sardine- recommended by the guy who works the odd day in Halfway Angling as good for this mark. Was he right or what! On a side note that guy (Dave is it??) has been very helpful any time I've been in, and has been very generous with his advice, so I owe you one boy!

So I was just getting used to casting and working the Feed Shallow (which doesn't cast so poorly as I had been lead to believe). I cast out and just started the retreive when BANG BANG BANG. I immediately knew I had a bass on as it felt like nothing I've had on a light rod before. The power and aggression of the fish was incredible to feel! I let out a shout of joy.

I knew I had a job on my hands to land him as there were a lot of rocks in the way between me and the fish. I had my drag on tight, gave the fish no quarter and manhandled him around the rocks. Last job was to get him up on my rocks. By luck there was a wave coming in so I tried to bring him in on it, but there was a heart stopping moment where I thought I had messed up and he had got off but luckily I landed him. First ever lure caught bass!

The fish was a nice size, between 45 and 50cm (I didn't have a tape measure on me). The angler who I met earlier saw me land the fish and came over for a look. He probably wanted to see why I was shouting and roaring like a madman more than for a look at the fish! He helped me unhook him, which was bit of a job as the fish was jumping about in his rock pool quite a bit. He also took the attached photo, which was great.

After the photo the fish was revived in a rock pool and went back fighting fit. I worked the area for another half hour with the Feed Shallow but no more hits.

I moved over along the beach to another spot where my accomplice had said hed seen a few fish moving but hadn't hooked any, he thought they may have been mullet. Sure enough he was right there were a few fish to be seen breaching the surface, even one jumped out of the water about thirty yards in front of me!. I worked the feed shallow right through the middle of them five or six times with no joy. I switched to a smaller shallow diver but no difference- perhaps these were indeed mullet?

That was the end of the session, I went home happy but annoyed that I have to wait a month to catch the next one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: First Lure Caught Bass

Thu May 15, 2014 11:50 pm

Nice catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri May 16, 2014 6:29 am

Very well done!

We all remember our first time!!!

Fri May 16, 2014 7:07 am

Congrats on the first lure caught Bass,,,,great report :wink:

Fri May 16, 2014 9:27 am

Nice one on your first Bass 8)

Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 am

Good stuff, the size doesn't matter when your trying to break your duck! Just a small bit of advice, ease off on the drag a little, allow some play on it, cause "when" you hook into a big girl she'll need a little give or else she could snap the line with a late surge. Yes, it happened to me, lesson learned!!!

Fri May 16, 2014 2:17 pm

To be honest it just so happened that the drag was set tight more by accident than design! I may give a little leeway next time. Was the first fish I got on my new spinning outfit was delighted all performed very well.

Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Always good to get your target species, well done.

Fri May 16, 2014 3:22 pm

You never forget your first. You may get bigger ones over time but this will be the one you'll remember most. Fair play.

Addictive, isn't it!!!

Fri May 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Well done on your first bass.

Fri May 16, 2014 9:34 pm

nice bass well done

Fri May 16, 2014 10:10 pm

Well done, nothing like your first on the lure.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:31 pm

the first is pure magic! well done!

Sat May 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Nice bass!!! You are hooked now and there is no going back :D :D :D

Sun May 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Delighted for you shortcircut, the first one is always special. Well done!

Sun May 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks guys, yeah it was a bit special I must admit

Sun May 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Big well done your well hooked now yourself

Tue May 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Jesus this represents a missed oppurtunity targeting striped bass in Cape Cod summer '05

Tue May 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Big Bear wrote:Jesus this represents a missed oppurtunity targeting striped Bass in Cape Cod summer '05

Haha!! Took me a second to figure out what this message meant. Back then I wouldn't have known the difference between a striped bass and a striped tiger!

Shake the bucket . . .!

Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:45 pm

well done shortcircuit lad...fine last minute fish!!! 8)
i am yet to be blessed with bass on a lure...
good stuff man 8)