Bass potential

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Bass potential

Postby omercier » Mon May 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi,

Every couple of months I get to try my luck with the bass over Kerry (wife's parents...) and although I managed to get a few off the black rock next to Banna I'm struggling finding new points around the area.
Back in Israel (my home country) I used to search for them in mostly sandy beaches with a channel close to the shoreline or a mix beach of rocks and sand but again mostly sand, that's where you usually would get them in Israel...now the Irish coast line is nothing like what I know and places that I wouldn't imagine that would hold potential for a bass do so I need some help :)

I took 2 photos of the coast line I was fishing in today, would you say it look like a decent point or am I wasting my time?
Would I be better off with waders down the Banna beach casting into the surf?
Attachments
rsz_211.jpg
rsz_12.jpg
omercier
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Re: Bass potential

Postby kieran » Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 am

my only comment is that the rocks look very clean (probably taken at high water) and so devoid of sea life. Mounds of rotting seaweed bleeding fly larvae into the sea or just lots of mussels, limpets, and such like would improve your chances but that it probably below the water shown in the pictures. Looks quite shallow. I would survey it at low water and look for the gullies you use in Israel and see if you can fish into these with the tide moving (up or down) and maybe try it in very low light conditions..
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Richie07 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 am

If You could make it down to the platform jutting out in the top photo it might be worth trying, if you can cast back in towards the land, seems like a bit of a small inlet there. Could give it a go as the light is fading. Good looking mark with potential I would say.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office!
Richie07
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby nicefish » Tue May 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Did you Try fishing Ballyheigue I was fishing blackrock a couple of weeks ago no joy but there was a few Bass taken on Ballyheigue right on the bend seems to be a good spot.
The best things in life aren't things.
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby omercier » Tue May 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks for the info lads!

Nicefish, I know the black rock spot quite well...caught a few bass out there (2 to 4lbs) but was looking for a new spot.
You need good conditions when fishing from the black rock and it's very hard to come by haha
Is the bend the part next to the rock from the ballyheigue side? I find it to always be full of sea weed which makes fishing impossible...waders should get you over the first few meters and pass the sea weed into the clear water...might give that a try.

Went again to the ballyheigue pier to the rocks to the north again today at low water, seems perfect but not a single bite...
omercier
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby nicefish » Tue May 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Yes it's from the Ballyheigue side just down from where that weed is. The Bass that was caught there was on bait but I was spinning there with one of the locals he told me it was a good spot but very slow this year.
The best things in life aren't things.
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby Eoghan » Wed May 24, 2017 11:17 am

I'd like to see a low water pic but my initial thoughts were yes. I know a similar mark in Kerry that looks nothing much at high water but below the surface is some sandy patches around small to medium boulders. Even better is the run that passes when the tide is falling or rising. Is there a current here at any stage or moving water..? That would also be key for me. Id be standing well back from the waters edge so as not to spook any fish too.
Top 3 lure caught bass 2017 :
10Ib 5 oz
9Ib 2oz
8Ib 11oz
Eoghan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 254 times

Postby Paddyschoice » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:10 am

On Banna beach is the bottom fishing any good for Bass does anyone know?
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby kayak fishing » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:27 pm

use lug have a crack
kayak fishing
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Lure Fishing