braid vs nanofil

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

braid vs nanofil

Postby Arron P » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi all im am useing braid at the moment for lure fishing bass and was told nanofil is better n was wondering if anyone is useing nanofil could help me out or give me some help on the matter ? Should i chang from braid or stick with braid. Thanks
Arron P
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: braid vs nanofil

Postby JimC » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:06 am

I use braid, nano and gliss. The nano and the gliss are certainly easy to cast with and feel silky smooth. You do have to watch your knots with both they are so silky -doubling over usually sorts. G & N feel similar to the touch.
You have a choice in braids too. The modern 8 strands braids are nice to use. Strikepro Strikewire is a personal fav. Suffix 832 is lovely, Ultima have a new braid too. I look for .13 at least for 9kg (20lb).
Watch for cheap online braid. It will do fine but may be thicker than stated.
N & G are good alternatives but have lovers and haters.....I get on well with them but braid is still my fav.

(There's a line article: http://www.topfisher.eu/line-getting-to-the-end-of-it/ )
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Arron P » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Thank u that is very helpful
Arron P
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Crevan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:23 am

Jim where do you source the Suffix 832? Ive heard good things about it but the whole US vs European breaking strain is confusing. Please share your wisdom ;)
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby JimC » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Oh don't get me started on line diameters and strains etc :) :)
The last section of that piece in TopFisher gives a good account on the difference between the US & Eu in terms of breaking strain. One being Absolute strain (EU) and the other being Lbs Test (US).
I have done comparisons on different sites to see the different diameters quoted for different strains, even that is confusing. You can see the table below - That is the relative strains and diameters for Suffix 832 taken from Suffix sites.
In some ways it is a moot point as the tackle companies can put what they want on the packaging!! (Most will say that they are honest).

suffix diameter.png

The PowerPro chart below gives a good indicator of mm to breaking strain EU & US: I don't know how modern the table is. I'm sure PPro have a few different braids at this stage at different diameters. EG: My favourite braid is Strikepro StrikeWire @ .13mm for 9kg.

briad diameter.jpg
briad diameter.jpg (28.8 KiB) Viewed 677 times

You could contact Gowan & Bradshaw to see if they can supply 832 to tackle shops - Suffix is part of Rapala and thye are the agents for the country.
So what would I do? I would order based on stated diameter rather than breaking strain. At least you should get something close to the EU strain that we are used to. I would be sick if I ordered 20lb line in the US (Expecting 0.13mm) only to be sent 0.23mm line that would amount to 40lb strain on this end. Better still I would write a piece for TopFisher and the editor ( :) ) would surely get some braid that needs testing and reviewing ;) .

I got a few spools of 832 a few years back from Irish Angler - It is still serving me well.

For this message the author JimC has received thanks: 2
Crevan (Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:30 pm), mickser (Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:44 am)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Johnboy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:35 am

My own experience with NanoFil was a nightmare. It was fraying around my castsing finger and around the eyes as I cast. Checked the eyes with the old cotton wool test and they were fine, wasn't casting heavy lures, switched to YKG G-Soul WX8 and not one but of wear in 3 months.
As for Power Pro it's a good workhorse line, just be weary of the amount of knock-off Power Pro that has flooded into the online market, it's not just the diameter that can be off but it can be a lot weaker and poorly coated too.
Johnboy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby Arron P » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Yea im finding that its fraying alot and im not trusting it i think i will be going back to braid.
Arron P
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Lure Fishing