Bass from Portrane at low water

Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:31 am

I don't yet have access to write a shore report so this will have to do for now. Tried a few marks around Portrane as the tide was dropping last night. Using a rapala surface plug with a rattle (black and luminous green). Spent 2 hours moving about. No fish visible etc. but got a small bass (approx 35cm) near the end of the session. Great fighting fish :) haven't caught a bass in years. Fish returned alive. Trying different tactics as recommended by lads on this forum. First fish of any kind in 7 sessions. It pays to be persistent and change up the tactics. Tried 5 different rapalas yesterday (shad rap, jointed, and extreme slash bait etc) before changing to the rattler (which is ugly as hell and looks nothing like a fish). I guess you never know what's going to produce fish. Anyway, if you're plugging for bass it might be worth your while having a rattler to try out. And portrane rocks gave me a fish on the dropping tide when I had previously blanked around the same places at high tide. Always worth trying new things. Thanks to all on this forum for their advice. Tight lines lads.

Re: Bass from Portrane at low water

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:06 am

Nice 1 Darren. I have given up around Dublin for Bass. Yes you may get 1 in every 20 outings if ur lucky, not for me!
Sea Trout was even bad this year too!

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:58 pm

colin08 wrote:Nice 1 Darren. I have given up around Dublin for Bass. Yes you may get 1 in every 20 outings if ur lucky, not for me!
Sea Trout was even bad this year too!

Thanks for the info Colin, 1/20 is definitely too low a ratio. Might just target pollock on some of my old marks a bit further along the coast, and maybe pick up an odd bass if I'm lucky.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:26 pm

have fished portrane a good bit with plugs with no results

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 am

Was out at portrane recently, got one follow on a surface lure after 4 hours fishing, seems poor at the moment