Braid help

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:35 am

Lads I'm well used to braid.

Problem is I seem to be breaking or snapping lately.

I've checked all eyes.
My knots are fine.
Drag set correctly.
Know it can easily break off rocks etc.

Used duel / shin obi and spider wire.

Any help to good braid. Prefer 4 strand but if you can justify a better braid please do.

Anyone use / try ygk upgrade

Heard very good things but like to hear reviews instead from Irish anglers

Thanks

Re: Braid help

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:25 pm

Penn do a very good one I use it on beach and boats

Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Strip off a few yards if you have not already constant casting takes its toll.

Swap the braid around if its been on a while so your getting the fresh line that you have been using for backing.

Your mono backing being the same Dia as you braid really helps to stop the braid digging in, caused line stress and snap-offs for me.

Used to get a few snap-offs in a row, they seem to come in bunches, found when i got one just slowing down my casting got rid of the problem.

Use the Ygk Gesox in .8 PE and really like it, but for line that just behaves really well sunline castaway in 1. PE was great stuff.

Shop around for your braid you can get good braid at reasonable prices if you spend some time looking.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:29 pm

The ones I like best:
Strikepro Strikwire 0.13 20lb
Sufix 832 0.13 20lb

I like the thinnest diameter I can get for 20lb strain.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:25 pm

I've recently started using something called Rovex in 10lb bs. Too early too say yet what I think of it, but initial impressions are good and it seems to cast further that the last lot of braid that I had on.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:45 pm

Often overlooked is the lip on the spool of reels and bail arm rollers which can cause problems.

PowerPro is a good reliable braided line that has been around a long time, says enough really.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Deise I'm using a braid they stock down in halfway called Sakura Bass Braid. I hadn't used it before but am finding it really good . It's very competitively priced, feels exceptionally smooth and performs well - no crack offs etc.

To be honest though, you are using reputable brands, you should have no issue bar a bit of wear on the end that is constantly being cast and retrieved