West west Cork

Sun May 18, 2014 9:36 am

Hi all,

Tried for about 2 hours yesterday a mark which produced fine pollocks (both numbers and sizes) last year at September with no joy.
weather was perfect, a bit windy but can't complain, loads of birds diving about 300m from the mark and even a seal was spotted nearby but I couldn't get a single bite...tried wobbler, plugs and the SG sandeel and slugs (the slugs are my favourite and were responsible for most of the catches I had there in September)...Is it a bit early? Is the water are still too cold for the fish to be quite active?

The mark is a rock fishing mark with few meters depth of water, a few kelps and a lot of rocks in the water...was a beauty watching the birds diving for the entire time I was fishing.

Re: West west Cork

Sun May 18, 2014 9:47 am

I did fished the spot right after low tide (wasn't my choice but it was the only window I got from the girlfriend) so maybe that could explain the lack of fish?
How vital is tide times when fishing a deep water rocks mark?

Sun May 18, 2014 12:25 pm

i think its abit early personally,iv tryed a few pollack marks around my way the last wek and not even a single fish

Sun May 18, 2014 12:53 pm

It would want to pick up seeing as we can't go after the silver fellas for a while !

Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 am

I fished a pollock / wrasse mark yesterday evening in Cork at high tide and didn't get any fish either. The wrasse were showing interest in the soft plastics but I couldn't connect with the sneaky buggers. Maybe it's a little early but there should be some shore pollock feeding at this stage

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Wed May 21, 2014 10:46 pm

if u ask me id say the seal had something to do with it have same prob meself at a good pollack mark if a seal is in sight fishing is not great as for tide my mark only works on low tide and its a deep water mark too was out there this evening 3 fish were caught moved up a bit to be met by a seal no fish coincedence or not

Mon May 26, 2014 5:50 pm

I know maqrks are quite a private secret...but any chance someone could help me with a mark for wrasse as I've never seen or caught this fish (we dont have this kind of fish the place I come from...)?

If not a specific mark, can someone write what should I be looking for when searching for a wrasse mark?

cheers lads

Tue May 27, 2014 9:39 am

omercier wrote:I know maqrks are quite a private secret...but any chance someone could help me with a mark for wrasse as I've never seen or caught this fish (we dont have this kind of fish the place I come from...)?

If not a specific mark, can someone write what should I be looking for when searching for a wrasse mark?

cheers lads

In general it's pretty much the same as pollock ground - rocky marks with kelpy ground and some underwater rock structure, I've been told that ground with a few boulders can be very good for holding wrasse. Usually they are very close to the shore and don't require much of a cast at all.

Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 am

omercier wrote:I know maqrks are quite a private secret...but any chance someone could help me with a mark for wrasse as I've never seen or caught this fish (we dont have this kind of fish the place I come from...)?

cheers lads

Where are you living?, I can take you to a wrasse mark near Dublin if you want just drop me a pm.