Surface Poppers

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:35 pm

I usually fish Sluggo's and sub surface lures and with the sea so calm at the moment I'd like to give some poppers a go. Have had a few before on the chug bug but am not that confident with it. Is there another good one I should have in my lure box that has worked for you?

Re: Surface Poppers

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 pm

I like the good ould patchinko. There is a savage gear copy out there too.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Alie Mag - I blame that Jim Hendrick fella for my addiction to it.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:12 pm

second the aile magnet find the top one works best :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:10 pm

I have tried the patchinko and never had much luck with that although it's great for casting at distance. The Aile Magnet looks good. Do you zip that over the surface or is it a walk the dog lure?

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 pm

ive got them both walk the dog and popping along the top

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:40 pm

Not walk the dog nor zipping over the surface - I use a different action entirely. Hard to explain, easy to do when you see it done.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 am

chug bug one of my favorite lures & a real fish catcher too...i also use another one called a chico-boco,great popper for when the weather is a small bit choppy..

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 am

Lucky Craft G-Splash can be excellent in these conditions; Flat calm, crystal clear waters.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:00 am

Look at my profilepic :-) - Aile Magnet all the way. I have nailed lots of Bass on it.
But dont get caught up too much on the lure, concentrate on working it correctly and making it believable. Look at youtube for tons of vids on how to work poppers.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Cheers lads, I'll be out tomorrow evening in Dublin or Wicklow, tides and weather look perfect. I'll try a bit of popping and failing that it'll be SP's and Feed Shallow. Not too many lures in your bag helps, means you have to use what's at hand so I'll be giving the popper a good workout.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Gunfish all the way but change the hooks.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:06 pm

aile magnet all the way around a long time and never been bettered-go for the smaller one it seems to outfish the larger model by a mile my favourite colour is ghost mackerel.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Hey Richie,

I never trusted chug-bugs either. This would me my one pick:

The 90mm (3.5in) Yo-Zuri Hydro Popper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Cheers Inigo. They were all out of Aile Magnet in the shop yesterday so I got one from Tackle House called a K Ten. Will be trying it later, looks good but that doesn't mean it fishes well so we'll see, might see you out and about soon.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:52 am

I got 2 Bass and a Pollock Last night on that K Ten, nice lure to use, you need to test it a few feet out to see how it works before you fish it, it's all in the wrist action :-)

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:58 am

Which K-ten did you get?

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 am

JimC wrote:Which K-ten did you get?

Hi Jim, I got the lipless minnow 120mm, 18g. Not really a popper it's slow floating, softish twitch similar action to a popper

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:48 pm

I have a few different K-ten lures. I have a lipless minnow or two. In fairness I do not use hard plastics that often....I have yet to getaway bass on a lipless minnow. They do look well in the water though.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm

If the bass will take this they will take anything so maybe we are looking in the wrong tackle shops :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4OK_dLp65B4