Re: Why all the bling?!!?

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:44 am

Tanglerat wrote:Just goes to show you, there's nothing new under the sun, in fishing or on forums:

http://www.probassfisher.com/2009/08/do ... earth.html

(Mind you, I may have changed one or two things since then....)

Love it, looks like a happy man.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:51 pm

jhcabs wrote:
Tanglerat wrote:Just goes to show you, there's nothing new under the sun, in fishing or on forums:

http://www.probassfisher.com/2009/08/do ... earth.html

(Mind you, I may have changed one or two things since then....)

Love it, looks like a happy man.

Certainly was, esp considering the 5 bigger fish taken in the evening session...... 18 bass in one day. Took one for the table, the rest released.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 pm

seanie35 wrote:I think that "bling" should be only used to describe certain aspects of a fishermans kit. Quality rods/reels/line and lures isnt bling in my opinion sure why not invest in good equipment (not essiental and if you can afford it)in most other hobbys this would not be an issue - cycling, model aeroplanes etc. for me bling would be really expensive sunglasses, forearm protectors, hezbollah style head cloths , €50 line nippers and so on. We all know the fishys dont care already. Whatever floats your boat i say but i really think having good quality basic equipment isnt being flash

What you say is perfectly correct but it's the name dropping that gets me. I paid dear for some of my rods and reels but I couldn't tell you the makes or models a few weeks later -no more than is the case with the cheap stuff I use as well. It's the guys who can't talk fishing without naming the makes of whatever they are using that really tart it up and put new people off the sport. "Was that a xyz rod paired with an abc reel on blah braid, that you used with a rattling shocker whatever plug?" If I'm asked what lure worked on a given day I'd have to dig it out of the box and show them, as I haven't a clue now what they are all called.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:30 pm

srameen wrote:
seanie35 wrote:I think that "bling" should be only used to describe certain aspects of a fishermans kit. Quality rods/reels/line and lures isnt bling in my opinion sure why not invest in good equipment (not essiental and if you can afford it)in most other hobbys this would not be an issue - cycling, model aeroplanes etc. for me bling would be really expensive sunglasses, forearm protectors, hezbollah style head cloths , €50 line nippers and so on. We all know the fishys dont care already. Whatever floats your boat i say but i really think having good quality basic equipment isnt being flash

What you say is perfectly correct but it's the name dropping that gets me. I paid dear for some of my rods and reels but I couldn't tell you the makes or models a few weeks later -no more than is the case with the cheap stuff I use as well. It's the guys who can't talk fishing without naming the makes of whatever they are using that really tart it up and put new people off the sport. "Was that a xyz rod paired with an abc reel on blah braid, that you used with a rattling shocker whatever plug?" If I'm asked what lure worked on a given day I'd have to dig it out of the box and show them, as I haven't a clue now what they are all called.

Just a bit of over enthusiasm and confidence building is all, bet if you caught 2 x 10lb bass on a given lure you would know its name in 5 languages :)

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:28 am

im not a lover of all this 'bling' either...im met a few bass anglers out of late & its like a f@?><>in fashion show with them :D
fair enough,some of the top end lures are definatley worth the few extra euro & do the buisness,but if you ask me all these super light rods & reels,fancy waders,sun-glasses,back-packs,expensive braid,etc...(feel free to add to the list) dont make a blind bit of difference to catching more bass & some of these bass fishing 'blogs' are doing noting but promoting utter rubbish most of the time...
just my 2 cents on it

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:54 am

Lots of good points made here I will agree that some of the so called bling is overpriced especially when it comes to lures but as mentioned earlier a good rod, good reel and good waders and boots are not bling. When it comes to fishing the fish don't know you have a yellow rod breathable waders and so on but I would still not go fishing without them. The reason being with good equipment you can fish longer and in comfort, with breathable waders I can get out on the further most outcrops with no fear of getting wet and cold making me fish longer. A good reel is even more important especially when using the more expensive braids. Matching braid to your reel will result in less wind knots keeping you fishing longer and hopefully catching more fish. A good pair of cleated wading boots gives you more confidence on the rocks getting to those hard to reach areas where you think the bass may be. I'm Not saying you have to buy all these thing to go fishing and spend €1000 euro starting out but over the years add something good to your collection use Christmas and birthdays. Good reliable gear will have you fishing longer and more often and will last longer.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:17 am

Have to agree when people start talking about there "xvk" rocket rod, and there feedswallow extreme, then i am lost.. Fishing is fishing lads and its all about getting out in the environment and enjoying it. Even in the rain, snow and wind. Dont get me wrong i spend alot of money on fishing gear but i couldnt give a rats arse about the make or model. I just care about catching fish.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:52 am

seanie35 wrote:Just a bit of over enthusiasm and confidence building is all, bet if you caught 2 x 10lb Bass on a given lure you would know its name in 5 languages :)

I can't agree. I forget the names of most of my lures so I wouldn't know the name of the 10lb Bass catcher either. I'd know what basic style and movement for when getting another but that would be it.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:56 am

willhands wrote:Lots of good points made here I will agree that some of the so called bling is overpriced especially when it comes to lures but as mentioned earlier a good rod, good reel and good waders and boots are not bling. When it comes to fishing the fish don't know you have a yellow rod breathable waders and so on but I would still not go fishing without them. The reason being with good equipment you can fish longer and in comfort, with breathable waders I can get out on the further most outcrops with no fear of getting wet and cold making me fish longer. A good reel is even more important especially when using the more expensive braids. Matching braid to your reel will result in less wind knots keeping you fishing longer and hopefully catching more fish. A good pair of cleated wading boots gives you more confidence on the rocks getting to those hard to reach areas where you think the Bass may be. I'm Not saying you have to buy all these thing to go fishing and spend €1000 euro starting out but over the years add something good to your collection use Christmas and birthdays. Good reliable gear will have you fishing longer and more often and will last longer.

Very good point. Its a hobby for most of us at the end of the day. The great thing about fishing is the person with the best gear doesnt guarantee themselves that they will catch most fish. Its really down to local mark knowledge more than anything, water craft, understanding where a bass might be and lure presentation.
Take for example last week, I stood 5 feet awat from my mate and caught 2 bass that he didnt. He was using an Ilex element raider and a shimano rarenium with a shallow feed. Combined costing approx €800. I was using a Bushwacker 8', Okuma 40's and a maria hard metal lure, combined approx €185. Im not saying I am better than him (even though I am :-) ) but its just to get a point across.

However, I dont really have a problem with someone who loves the hobby, works hard and wants to spend their hard earned cash on their hobby. Whats the harm in that..? You're a long time dead and if you dont spend it your kids will...!! :-)
Some of the more expensive rods have a better feel to them and give you closer connection, esp to a soft plastic.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Eoghan wrote:However, I dont really have a problem with someone who loves the hobby, works hard and wants to spend their hard earned cash on their hobby. Whats the harm in that..? You're a long time dead and if you dont spend it your kids will...!! :-)

words of wisdom, I fully agree, let it be everyone's personal choice, why spoil the fun, - and keep in mind also that our last suit has no pockets :)

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:50 pm

I like my bling. Its my money. I work hard for it and spend it as i like...
I wouldn't be one bit snobby about other peoples gear..never.

There's plenty of people come up to me and chastise me for having some of the fancy gear, telling me that they caught x no. of doubles last year on this lure that they got for €5..etc blah blah...and i don't need one of them €30 euro lures.

Hand on my heart I would be delighted for someone catching a bass on whatever the hell works for them, but its gets on my nerves when people have formed they're ideas of you even before they've talked to you.

I agree I hate snobby fisher men but you get them on both sides of the equation.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:55 pm

The Austrian wrote:but its gets on my nerves when people have formed they're ideas of you even before they've talked to you.

8)

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:08 pm

luanaigh wrote:I like my bling. Its my money. I work hard for it and spend it as i like...
I wouldn't be one bit snobby about other peoples gear..never.

There's plenty of people come up to me and chastise me for having some of the fancy gear, telling me that they caught x no. of doubles last year on this lure that they got for €5..etc blah blah...and i don't need one of them €30 euro lures.

Hand on my heart I would be delighted for someone catching a Bass on whatever the hell works for them, but its gets on my nerves when people have formed they're ideas of you even before they've talked to you.

I agree I hate snobby fisher men but you get them on both sides of the equation.

You have a point there reverse snobbery is part of the problem. I already said in my original post that I don't think all this bling is necessary. But if it gives people pleasure to buy things that's nobody's business but their own. It is also interesting that there are all these claims on here of blinged up anglers looking down on bait anglers (or on lure anglers with more basic gear). Yet all the complaining on here is not from the bling brigade but from the other side of the debate. There will of course always be idiots who equate success with having the best and latest material goods. Like the guy in the flash car who zooms off ahead of you at the traffic lights. But are all these blinged up anglers really looking down their noses at everyone else or is it all in the imagination of those who seem so peeved that they even exist? Perhaps the guy in the flash gear just wants to enjoy his hobby in his own way and actually couldn't care less whether other anglers are impressed by his gear or not. Is that so hard to believe? You'd swear some are actually threatened that at the moment things are moving in a different direction. I don't know why there has to be any debate in the first place. People should be allowed to fish however they want within the law. There are certainly more serious issues to get worked up over.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:25 am

They see me fishin.......they hating......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Its not just bass lure anglers the bait boys are very good at it them selfs with the 4x4s on the beach and the beach buddys.All the stuff we know it will not get you more fish it just makes things a bit easier if you do a lot of fishing

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:17 pm

a bit more bling please :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PX74gr9RM

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Ha ha all the bass 10 feet out laughing at him! :-)

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Bling a ring ding. This thread is blinging off the scale.

I won't have it. Do ya hear!!!:grin:

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:46 am

I think it is a myth created and perpetuated by those who believe that all that gear is necessary to be classed as a bass angler.
Many very good anglers that I know do use every new innovation going and if you pockets are deep enough and it helps you enjoy your day why not?
I still havent grasped the need for Boga grips on bass myself?
Probably the most success bass angler I know in North Clare carries his gear in a green Dunnes bag with a bit of rope on it to make a handle. He uses mono and many of his bass have fallen to a redgill trailed behind a bubble float.
IMHO As a whole we are moving away from the ideal that we go out to enjoy ourselves and have confused catching the most or having all the gear with the ultimate aim of the pleasurable day out.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 am

All the stuff I use is top end as I go out every week, and as much as I can, I like to travel light and feel comfortable whatever the conditions throw up. It hasn't always been like that though and when I started in the early 70's I got a rod with some Green Shields stamps, remember them!, and a dodgy reel that kept packing up but it didn't stop me catching fish, you need a bit of hardship I suppose. I don't mind what gear people use but don't think you know everything if you are a wet weekend in the game and have all the best gear like the chap I met recently who only started 6 months previous and was upset he wasn't catching much!