Re: Why all the bling?!!?

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:54 pm

sandblaster wrote:and another thing- breathable waders and lure fishing from rocks is brainless sharp rock edges and barnacles now come on i ask ya what a scam youd be lucky to get a few sessions leak free.wading on clean sand they perform fine but they are simply unsuitable for fishing from rocks.remember these guys on tv and in magazines get them free!

I've got breathables. I'll let you know how they perform the next time I'm crawling on me hand n knees.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:57 pm

I have my daiwa neoprenes years. Patched a few times. Not a bother. Don't freeze my balls off either standing in water for any length of time or on night sessions.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:23 pm

they havn't designed breathable waders for the salt yet so neoprenes and good old fashioned rubbers are the smarter choice .ive been using breathable waders for my freshwater fishing since they became available and i wouldnt dream of bringing them anywhere near rocks for lurefishing unless i had pl,enty of money to throw away.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Two sides to every story I guess. I can't bring myself to buy breathables for exactly that reason.

I have a very good pair of Non-breathable waders, they will last me donkeys years. And most of the time I'm cold rather than too hot.

But it was 32 degrees in Brandon yesterday. Some serious chafing going on!!!

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:39 pm

True story. I fished for 3 hours this morning in Wicklow, threw the best lures under the sun, literally. Fiiish minnow, kimomo, feed shallow, etc and I nail a bass on my walk back to the car on a small silver Kilty! I was only casting it to test out new braid on the reel and put some distance on it. But I'd say close to €100 or more worth of lures caught me nothing and a €4 Kilty did the job.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:55 am

People look at me funny when I admit I dont own Fiish Minnows or anything IMA or.....I do think you can enjoy and use good gear but it's not simply going to catch you more fish by default.

Last week the fy dolla white skitter walk ruled - the customers I had with me that's what they believed that's what they fished with and that's what they caught on!

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Steve wrote:I'm guilty too Rory :oops:

Putting a stop to the tartiness though and getting back to the fundamentals (unless you want to offload that yellow rod of yours and I'll take it off your hands for a small sum) :D :D :D :D

Cortaz was on my mind while I was typing that - the absolute polar opposite to what I was talking about!

It must be 10 years since i fished with Artur. Is he still rocking the milk carton sling full of lug? ;)

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:05 pm

While no doubt knowing where fish are and how to fish for them trumps expensive bling the real question is why is there an attitude about that the tackle tarts blingers or what ever you want to call them, look down their noses at guys with cheap or basic set-up? It's the same with fly fishing on rivers. A snobbery exists and name dropping is as big a part of their day than the fishing some times.
I occasionally have people ask me what lures I was using and all I could do is show them, because I don't recall the names or where I got them. All I know is that they would not have coat me much.
I have 4 rods and I would have to look at them now to tell you what makes they are. I just know one is a fly rod and the other 3 are selected based on casting weight.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:10 pm

srameen wrote:While no doubt knowing where fish are and how to fish for them trumps expensive bling the real question is why is there an attitude about that the tackle tarts blingers or what ever you want to call them, look down their noses at guys with cheap or basic set-up? It's the same with fly fishing on rivers. A snobbery exists and name dropping is as big a part of their day than the fishing some times.
I occasionally have people ask me what lures I was using and all I could do is show them, because I don't recall the names or where I got them. All I know is that they would not have coat me much.
I have 4 rods and I would have to look at them now to tell you what makes they are. I just know one is a fly rod and the other 3 are selected based on casting weight.

+ 1 to the above, sometimes the shiny bright tackle catch more fishermen than fish,
though a reel is a very useful item.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Most refreshing thread I have read in a long time, thank god a bit of sense... People may disagree here but an angler who only lure fishes is not an angler, and even more do an angler that doesn't cook his own catch from time to time is not zen angler either...

I am not saying I am right and that my logic is said in stone, it's just my belief... I might be the worst example of an angler in the world but its my understanding of fishing...

I grew up with proper fisherman, who knew how to catch fish and the problem they had is they didn't have the education on the environmental impacts of killing everything... But they were proper fisherman... And thank god we have the education these days where we acknowledge fish stocks and there importance...

I am sick to death of being frowned apon by anglers wearing the best of clobber and the best of Mikey mouse tackle with chrome shielded salted resisted ball shocks.... For keeping a fish....

I think the topics are closely connected... I am all for c&r but leave the scientists do the research and if they say we can keep two fish in a day then that's what we can do...

This Is a fad and it won't last because I feel any body that turns there noses up on other forms of fishing will give up anyway...

Rant over, feel better

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:11 am

danbrosnan wrote: an angler who only lure fishes is not an angler

Im sorry but thats utter crap.
With a statement like that are you not as bad as them...? Have you not just contradicted everything this thead is about..?
By your logic you have to use all means and tactics available to you to class yourself an angler..?

The beauty of fishing is that there are so many ways to catch a fish. From the person who uses a bamboo pole to the person who has the best Illex lure rod availble, they are all anglers/fishermen/call it what you like.

Definition on wiki :

Angling is a method of fishing by means of an "angle" (fish hook). The hook is usually attached to a fishing line and the line is often attached to a fishing rod. Fishing rods are usually fitted with a fishing reel that functions as a mechanism for storing, retrieving and paying out the line. The hook itself can be dressed with lures or bait. A bite indicator such as a float is sometimes used.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:33 am

For me, its the variety of tactics that makes bass fishing so good. I'm new to the lure game but i'm going to keep it up because it is very enjoyable and completely different than what i'm used to. this keeps my interest up. I'm going to try Kayak fishing next for sure.

C&R is a no brainer, but if someone loves to eat bass i completely understand. i only suggest leaving the big ones if you can.

Your rod and reel is your tool, and its worth investing in. but this ain't always true, i broke my new lure rod last week after a bad fall and went back to an old 9' enticer i owned from years again. i love it, far better than the newer rod. all of a sudden my dogs are walking and the lures have come to life. its not the cost its the confidence which is key.

As for bling i don't see a problem with people buying nice gear, its there money and their hobby. I will agree there are some complete snobs out there but i don't blame their gear, its just them. I've been invloved in plenty of sports over the years but the snobbery in fishing can be the worst. I think it makes the sport look worse to an outsider thinking of getting involved.

having said that, theres a tonne of really decent people that help balance it out. to you guys, tight lines.

http://quicklol.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... riends.jpg

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Lol... I didn't say I was right.. What would the point in me lying and not saying what I felt...

Do I think that this lure fad has caused a snobbery on fishing? Yes I do, I'd rather talk to an old man, with a rod he has had for 50 years then some lad that's just spent 900 euro on some space shuttle for over expensive lures...

And yes for me a real angler is just as happy shore fishing, freshwater fishing, boat fishing or lure fishing... What people have to understand is there only one Henry gilby, and I love his photographs and his forum... But for me I meet hundreds of wannabe Henry's all over with gimmicky fishing gear...

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Ye have to remember that some of us have been fishing with lures for years and arent all new to this. I started when I was 9 using a basic 2 piece rod and reel and basic silver lures from a local tackle shop. (Silver abu coasters, german sprats) I would literally fish from morning until evening for the 3 months of the summer I used to hammer pollock, cod and macks until one day 2 years later I caught a 2 and a half pound "Silver fish". You can guess the rest. Im now 38 and lure fishing is my preference. I dont own any ilex rods or a daiwa More than etc, my favourite lure is a green kilty lure thats costs less than €5....but thats not the point. How can you not say that tieing a lure to your line, casting to a point in the water you feel might hold a fish, avoiding snags and the like, working the lure in the correct manner and successfully hooking and landing that fish not be Angling..?

Some might argue that lumping out a 4oz gripper, 2/0 hook with lug and hoping something takes it is less skillful.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 pm

untitled.png

[quote="danbrosnan"]Most refreshing thread I have read in a long time, thank god a bit of sense... People may disagree her.e but an angler who only lure fishes is not an angler.

good luck explaining that to this one.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 pm

as above... :oops:
Last edited by Martin46585 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:36 pm

I have to put my hands up and admit that i have fallen for the tart gear the last 2 years, 20quid lures etc, but i still catch most of my bass on an old dexter wedge. Maybe its just that i have a lot of faith in the wedge and if i had off had one of the more expensive lures in the water at that exact moment when a fish was there, i will never know. But i think with the amount of lures available these days, there are some excellent ones at less than a fiver and put them side by side with the must have ones, there really is no difference...

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Just goes to show you, there's nothing new under the sun, in fishing or on forums:

http://www.probassfisher.com/2009/08/do ... earth.html

(Mind you, I may have changed one or two things since then....)

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 am

flyno wrote:I have to put my hands up and admit that i have fallen for the tart gear the last 2 years, 20quid lures etc, but i still catch most of my Bass on an old dexter wedge. Maybe its just that i have a lot of faith in the wedge and if i had off had one of the more expensive lures in the water at that exact moment when a fish was there, i will never know. But i think with the amount of lures available these days, there are some excellent ones at less than a fiver and put them side by side with the must have ones, there really is no difference...

Same here spending €26 for feed shallows and then you have to change the hooks :? i can get 2 hansen strippers for €5 and they have caught me Bass. I paid €7 for the Hokkaido slim shad it has as good as action and finish as a €20 plug and its catches Bass. Good topic Steve.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:59 am

I think that "bling" should be only used to describe certain aspects of a fishermans kit. Quality rods/reels/line and lures isnt bling in my opinion sure why not invest in good equipment (not essiental and if you can afford it)in most other hobbys this would not be an issue - cycling, model aeroplanes etc. for me bling would be really expensive sunglasses, forearm protectors, hezbollah style head cloths , €50 line nippers and so on. We all know the fishys dont care already. Whatever floats your boat i say but i really think having good quality basic equipment isnt being flash