Why all the bling?!!?

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:49 am

Simple question here folks:

Why is it that unless you carry a boga and alu pliers, wear costa’s, have the latest (and in vogue) top of the line rods and reels (Japanese made, obviously) and look like you are just as likely to go on a commando raid as go fishing, you can’t be considered to be a proper bass lure man?

I admit that I was getting sucked into this world for a while, no doubt influenced by the various blogs I read in my thirst for all things bass. These same blogs, with some very obvious and very worthy exceptions, now seem to be more focussed on showing off gear and making the owner look the part rather than actually imparting any knowledge to the reader on lure fishing.

Yes, some items actually help you catch fish (a decent braid or pair of polarized glasses for example) – but the question is has looking the part and carrying the right gear now become the most important first step for any aspiring lure man – rather than understanding the key elements that catch you fish?

Re: Why all the bling?!!?

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Have you ever seen the gear Art (cortaz) is using? He is far away from bling and fancy tackle. And he is without doubt one of the finest bass anglers in Ireland. Ask Henry Gilbey or book a session with the man himself :) Using the gear you know and have trust in is more important than falling for the latest gadgets and much better for your wallet, believe me. ;) Nothing wrong with having to try out something new from time to time though :P :oops:

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm very guilty. Send me to the The Hague! :P
Don't have a boga though!

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm guilty too Rory :oops:

Putting a stop to the tartiness though and getting back to the fundamentals (unless you want to offload that yellow rod of yours and I'll take it off your hands for a small sum) :D :D :D :D

Cortaz was on my mind while I was typing that - the absolute polar opposite to what I was talking about!

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Steve wrote:I'm guilty too Rory :oops:

Putting a stop to the tartiness though and getting back to the fundamentals (unless you want to offload that yellow rod of yours and I'll take it off your hands for a small sum) :D :D :D :D

Cortaz was on my mind while I was typing that - the absolute polar opposite to what I was talking about!

Which yellow rod do you mean Steve, I have two :oops:

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:43 pm

you'll find 'tackle tarts' in all disciplines of angling. some guys get distracted by all the shiny stuff in a tackle shop, some guys can see through that and just come out the other side with what they need and, more importantly, what they have confidence in catching them fish. if you think the bass lure anglers are bad then you need to check out some of the gear that coarse fishermen can amass....

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:59 pm

The Austrian wrote:Have you ever seen the gear Art (cortaz) is using? He is far away from bling and fancy tackle. And he is without doubt one of the finest Bass anglers in Ireland. Ask Henry Gilbey or book a session with the man himself :) Using the gear you know and have trust in is more important than falling for the latest gadgets and much better for your wallet, believe me. ;) Nothing wrong with having to try out something new from time to time though :P :oops:

henry gilbey is a tool imo i use to enjoy watching him fishing or cod and ray years ago ever since he can test all the new bass gear he has gone a bit different and art showed him half the marks he has caught bass on as far as i know

that bass fishing plugging is gone be on sport its all money now with the new rods and reels on the market and the price of plugs is a joke never appealed to me at all would much prefer to fish for them with bait anyday

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Im more of a lure tart than a tackle tart although i could be easily convinced. I've come close as you know to splashing €500 on a rod.
But I use diawa neoprene waders and my favourite lure costs €4.50. I use 1 x exage 4000's and 2 x Okuma 30s and 40s.
People go on about simms waders etc, I couldnt give a monkies.
I have 3 rods but none over €150 and each has a purpose - in regards to casting wight.

But in ans to the question its like anything really, cars etc. Some people want the best, or what is considered the best.
Its like playing 5 a side football, the dude that turns up head to toe in the new Barca gear is usually crap..!

Some people dont get to fish often (me) and ease my craving by buying lures for the time where I might get to use one..! :-)
Its as close as I get to fishing since we had twins..!

I'll tell ye also what I think contributes to it - someone catches a bass on a new lure and posts a pic - suddenly we all think "Crap I havent got that lure and rush out to get it". The reality being an old greman sprat would probably have taken the same fish.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Some anglers believe all the bling will catch them fish,a confident angler is more likely to.A rod ,reel and cheap lures like dexters and German sprats all for £50_£60 will do same job.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Sure look, it's probably only two weeks since I was onto JimC about the new rod he had bought, and had convinced myself that I had to have it too. Eventually common sense took over as I already have two (good) rods which would do exactly the same things. I swore then that I would stick to the rods I have for the remainder of the year. 24 hours later I almost bought an element rider....

Maybe it's just my compulsive nature. Anyway, as I said, it's back to basics now, no more tarting, the fish don't know what I'm using. 'Bout time I cottoned on to that fact.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:52 pm

Steve wrote:Sure look, it's probably only two weeks since I was onto JimC about the new rod he had bought, and had convinced myself that I had to have it too. Eventually common sense took over as I already have two (good) rods which would do exactly the same things. I swore then that I would stick to the rods I have for the remainder of the year. 24 hours later I almost bought an element rider....

Maybe it's just my compulsive nature. Anyway, as I said, it's back to basics now, no more tarting, the fish don't know what I'm using. 'Bout time I cottoned on to that fact.

PM Sent. Resistance is futile!

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:28 pm

For the love of God Rory, stop it! I just got that rod out of my system :D :D :D

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:04 pm

We talking about an ilex? :-)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:59 pm

The Austrian wrote:Have you ever seen the gear Art (cortaz) is using? He is far away from bling and fancy tackle. And he is without doubt one of the finest Bass anglers in Ireland. Ask Henry Gilbey or book a session with the man himself :) Using the gear you know and have trust in is more important than falling for the latest gadgets and much better for your wallet, believe me. ;) Nothing wrong with having to try out something new from time to time though :P :oops:

Do you remember the photos he put up a few years ago with the Bass he was catching with his home made lures of knifes forks spoons :shock: Just dont invite him over for dinner.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:09 pm

I was fishing with him a few times and I tell you he is a master of improvisation. Some people just have it in their genes. It is the ability to react instinctively to changing conditions and understanding the consequences. Art (and this is not a misnomer!) is a true natural who can still sense this and one of the few serious anglers I had the pleasure meeting here. I have nothing but admiration for guys like him. The results obviously speak volumes. :)
Last edited by The Austrian on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Too true. What ever happened to using a German sprat. Used to murder bass on em. Simple and effective.
Last edited by Eoghan on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Precisely, now you've said it. Have confidence in your tackle, get a knowledge of your surroundings and just watch and try to read the signs of nature. Sounds simple but is the fruit of hard labour for some and the deep satisfying feeling of achievement and success for others, to have watched and analysed and got everything fine tuned to perfection at the end when there is the well earned reward fighting on your rod! No better feeling, makes me at least 15 years younger :)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Yes bass lure angling has become like carp fishing before it and I'm sure some of us saw it coming. Regardless the tackle industry certainly saw us coming! They have seen a new niche and are now driving that forward and saltwater lure fishing is becoming more mainstream. If it makes people happy to buy things and to collect lures and expensive tackle that's their business. To each his own and some people do collect tackle and others will openly admit to being 'tackle tarts'. As for me I bought a fair bit of gear I didn't really need at the start but have bought very little since. Do the bass care? Of course not. Some cheap soft plastics, metals and imitation plugs will do just fine.

Though you don't have to spend an absolute fortune to try the new gear. If you haven't tried one it has to be said that a light modern entry level lure rod around the £70 mark with a matching reel is a joy to use when compared to the carp or heavy spinning rods used by bass lure anglers a few years ago. But you don't have to buy one to catch bass and enjoy your fishing. It's all about finding the fish. The angler who really knows his marks and how they fish will be the most successful regardless of the tackle he uses.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:39 am

Divisadero chapter 7, verse 8. Couldn't put it better myself.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:48 pm

and another thing- breathable waders and lure fishing from rocks is brainless sharp rock edges and barnacles now come on i ask ya what a scam youd be lucky to get a few sessions leak free.wading on clean sand they perform fine but they are simply unsuitable for fishing from rocks.remember these guys on tv and in magazines get them free!