Pollock on surface lure

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Anyone any joy with pollock on a surface lure or is it a waste of time?

Re: Pollock on surface lure

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:57 pm

They will regularly burst from the water to take a lure....especially at dusk.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:06 pm

yea at dusk is best time for it, great sport.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:46 am

Had a few at dusk on a Sammy, never had one on a surface popper though.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Unlike Bass I find they miss most of the time, but the breaches can be quite spectacular and entertaining.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Baitdigger used to catch a lot of them on the lucky craft gunfish.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:06 pm

I was fly fishing in the evening, completely flat calm and the sun was on the horizon and Pollack were rising to something on the surface like a 6in trout would. I covered the rises and landed Pollack in the 1-2lb bracket.
I have also seen shoals of Pollack bashing sprats and leaping clean out of the water, again in the evenings

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:23 am

Picked up a 2.5lb one on a Patchinko a few evenings back.

Also had a few take a Salt Skimmer. They are spectacular takes with fish often coming clean out of the water for the lure.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:39 pm

redzerologhlen wrote:Baitdigger used to catch a lot of them on the lucky craft gunfish.

Howya Joe, sorry I didnt get time to say goodbye, I haven't told anyone about that wrasse yet!! Tom had a pollack on a gunfish I gave him last friday

I have taken lots of pollack off the top on the gunfish in ghost sardine, a chartreuse IMA komomo 125 and a mag popper in mackerel

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Took a pollock off the top tonight, quite small. It hit the popper from the front just as I was about to lift it out of the water. Was a nice sight.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:33 am

Saw a fair few pollack rising and even jumping late late night. One clonker, about 3/4lb breached right in front of me, in a similar fashion to a Great White.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Fishing slow with surface lures is the trick to make fish rise from deep places (like pollock). Do not hesitate to use big surface like miss carna 140 or Zclaw medium and work them as slow as possible. They can also take when the lure is not moving, great fun !

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 pm

If you want to nail pollack on a surface lure then this is the baby to do it with....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.