Kiltys

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:43 pm

I havent been fishing much for the last 2 seasons but I said Id get off the sofa and do a bit this year so I went to buy a few 20g kiltys the other day. I couldnt get over the price they are now! feckin rip off Ireland. 4.50 for the 20g and 5.00 for the 32g. Last time I got a few they were about 3quid for the 32g. Anyone know anywhere online I could get them cheaper?

Re: Kiltys

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:32 pm

I wouldnt say that at all. Compare them to the price of a feed shallow €25, duo tide minnow € 21, or any of the frequently used lures out there and they are worth every penny. They are about €4 on ebay but ye would want to be ordering a few to make up the postage of about the same. Ok they muight be a fiver, but I dont cry half as much as I would if I lost a feed shallow. The whole idea is that they are €5 so ye can be a bit riskier with them. No point casting into clear featureless water (Well most of the time), ye need to be fishing rough ground, submerged structure, boulders etc and sometimes ye want to try a kilty to test the mark so to speak before ye send in the big boys. Think of em like the recon of lures but they work extremely well..!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:10 pm

you could try these viva parade replacements
http://www.hogylures.net/category/1180/ ... igs/1.html

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:47 pm

I've never seen them for less than 4.50e in the last year or two in all the Cork shops, but I also think they are pretty good value. It's a lure that catches so many species (pollock, coalie, mackerel, bass, garfish, launch and sea trout will all take a Kilty easy) as opposed to some of the expensive Japanese plastics.

Eoghan wrote:I wouldnt say that at all. Compare them to the price of a feed shallow €25, duo tide minnow € 21, or any of the frequently used lures out there and they are worth every penny. They are about €4 on ebay but ye would want to be ordering a few to make up the postage of about the same. Ok they muight be a fiver, but I dont cry half as much as I would if I lost a feed shallow. The whole idea is that they are €5 so ye can be a bit riskier with them. No point casting into clear featureless water (Well most of the time), ye need to be fishing rough ground, submerged structure, boulders etc and sometimes ye want to try a kilty to test the mark so to speak before ye send in the big boys. Think of em like the recon of lures but they work extremely well..!

IMO a kilty is far too heavy to use as a recon lure over rough ground with lots of boulders, you're just going to be throwing money away using metals over ground like that. Better off doing a recon at low tide to see the lay of the land, or if that's not possible, then using a cheap as chips light Toby (you can get packs of 6 cheapo Tobies for about a fiver) or better still a soft plastic lure rigged weedless so you can actually bump it back over obstacles...

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 am

Ronnach wrote:IMO a kilty is far too heavy to use as a recon lure over rough ground with lots of boulders, you're just going to be throwing money away using metals over ground like that. Better off doing a recon at low tide to see the lay of the land, or if that's not possible, then using a cheap as chips light Toby (you can get packs of 6 cheapo Tobies for about a fiver) or better still a soft plastic lure rigged weedless so you can actually bump it back over obstacles...

I hear what yer saying alright. I dont lose that many to be fair. Usually with a set of polaroids and as you say a walk there at low water you can suss out a mark before you cast. I prefer to fish for bass at low water anyway and for the first 3 hours. Usually I "retire" a kilty as I have used it so much the green reflective sticker is coming off. I fish them single hook barbless most of the time which probably helps avoid losses. Smashing lure.