Re: Fishing with Braid- Line Problem

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 pm

rooney just under spool it more than an eight inch, will reduce ur cast a little bit but at least ul be fishing and not playing with ur tackle haha!

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:56 pm

I gave braid up last year as i was having problems with casting, wind knots etc etc. I was using the cheap stuff though. I recently bought a spool of sure spin and I've been problem free since. I under filled the spool. I'd estimate 300 casts without even the slightest problem so far.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:19 pm

id personally would go with power pro, i finally shelled out the extra cash and the difference between cheap'ish braid and good stuff is night and day, and that was only the 4 strand stuff the 8 strand is even better, im getting that next .

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:24 am

Eoghan wrote:Sometimes its just down to crap braid. Had the same prob myself yesterday. Two reels loaded with two different brands of braid. The 20Ib Power pro was brilliant, not a knot to be seen. The 30Ib utter shite on the other reel hit the bin when I got home. Im sorry but 4 tangles in a session is my patience point. Not sure where I picked it up, will get the name of it and edit this post later. I try to use braid that looks/feels like it has a coating to it and wont loop when ye push it together. Take a piece of braid, hold each end and try to push in into itself. If it loops and opens up showing strands I find its usually going to be a pain.

Cheers Eoghan, it does open when you push it back on itself, I use a coated braid on my beach rod and have never had a problem. The line is only 5KG which does prob not help as it is super thin (no diameter on packet)

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 am

I find soaking your spool in basin of soapy water helps and wetting the spool before you start fishing . Stops the braid sticking to itself and let's the braid sink when fishing . I read the way you spool the line makes a difference too . Some need the spool to spin to prevent twist and others need to be peeled off a spool while it lies flat on the floor label side up . My two cents

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:11 am

fishonit wrote:rooney just under spool it more than an eight inch, will reduce ur cast a little bit but at least ul be fishing and not playing with ur tackle haha!

its way under filled its only like half way out must be 5mm from the edge. Am guessing i know you fishonit !!!!

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:15 am

smurfy wrote:I find soaking your spool in basin of soapy water helps and wetting the spool before you start fishing . Stops the braid sticking to itself and let's the braid sink when fishing . I read the way you spool the line makes a difference too . Some need the spool to spin to prevent twist and others need to be peeled off a spool while it lies flat on the floor label side up . My two cents

The braid is currently being soaked, I will let you know how i get on. Filling the spool that's just sounds crazy going to that level of detail!!! but it sounds viable.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 pm

johnrooney wrote:
smurfy wrote:I find soaking your spool in basin of soapy water helps and wetting the spool before you start fishing . Stops the braid sticking to itself and let's the braid sink when fishing . I read the way you spool the line makes a difference too . Some need the spool to spin to prevent twist and others need to be peeled off a spool while it lies flat on the floor label side up . My two cents

The braid is currently being soaked, I will let you know how i get on. Filling the spool that's just sounds crazy going to that level of detail!!! but it sounds viable.

Yup crazy as it sounds it works . there are leads out the that twist anti clockwise as you reel em in . They are for un twisting line at end of session.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:22 pm

then its defo what smurfy said, u got to spool it off the new roll in the same direction as its spools onto ur reel/spool. good hunting pal

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:12 pm

the reel your using is also important.use one with a good line lay system on it(shimano,daiwa etc) these dont have to be axpensive either .match it up with a quality braid like powerpro and underfill the spool and you wont have a problem.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 pm

I don't know if its been mentioned but the tension that your reel is set may also be a factor. If you put a lure on the end of the line set the clutch that controls the line tension so that the lure will fall slowly from the top of the rod as the lure slowly comes down. If your lure comes down quickly then the line tension needs to be increased. This well also help to avoid tangles or birdnests along with what's already been mentioned.
To free up a birdnest just find a loop or pull out a loop close to the birdnest and pull the line out until you find the tangle then just free it up and wind your line back onto the reel.
I got the sunline braid recently for light work and like the way it casts. Smaller diameter less wind resistance. Hope I have explained this okay

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Try a swivel, might sort the problem, but I find the braid awful anyway, not all it's cracked up to be!!!!!