Spinning for brown trout and salmon in Killarney lakes

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Hey guys,

I'm off with a friend to Killarney on Saturday and we were thinking of taking a boat for a few hours.

My question is does it worth the effort? we both have spinning gear only (no fly fishing knowledge) - my gear is the savage gear mpp 7-23g 8", will we be able to find decent fish or just small brown trout and would the set up be too heavy to even feel a fight?

Is anyone heard of salmon being caught in the lakes?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Omer

Re: Spinning for brown trout and salmon in Killarney lakes

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:28 am

Hi there are salmon been caught on the lake so it's well worth a go
The popular lures would be 18gm tobies and f11 rapalas
Ghe brown trout will take smaller lures like mepps, small tobies and rapalas

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:36 am

you really need to be out in a boat to get the bigger fish, but where the laune exits the lake is a good spot. providing u get a permit of course as there are bailiffs around constantly. Call into O Neills fishing shop for some help. they are nice in there.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for the info lads...one more question, i know you don't need a license for those brown trout in the lake, is there any bag limit or legal size regulations?

i was there two weeks ago with a friend, while taking the boat out to the lake we were told it's too warm for fishing and we shouldn't expect much...i think we did ok, 7 brown trout in the boat in couple of hours...all got caught on spinners except one which was caught on a 12g spoon...we weren't looking for salmon as we have zero knowledge how to target them haha

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:16 am

In general a licence is not required to fish for trout in the Republic of Ireland – except in the Loughs Agency waters in counties Donegal and Louth as well as within Northern Ireland.

The majority of waters are owned either privately or by the State. Many are leased to angling clubs or associations.

Most fisheries have a bag limit that reflects the angling pressure that the fishery can sustain. However, where this is not specified anglers are requested to exercise constraint. Please consider ‘catch and release’ to ensure for the future of the sport.

Most trout fisheries open between February 15th and March 1st and close on September 30th with some exceptions that close on various dates between September 15th and October 12th. Some clubs may have their own regulations on opening and closing dates.

Rivers Laune and Killarney Lakes system license info:
http://www.fishinginireland.info/salmon ... /laune.htm