pollack set up?

Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 am

well lads just wondering what the best set up for spinning for pollack? i have a cheap ass 8ft silstar spin rod and an 11ft penn and i have a 3000 and 5000 size reel both loaded with mono so am wondering what's best, also do i need some sort of leader? do i need lead weight? should i tie lures on to mainline etc any help appreciated :) i'm hoping to try the pollack holes in kilkee in a few days :?

Re: pollack set up?

Mon May 20, 2013 12:12 pm

a swivell and lure and youre good to go

Mon May 20, 2013 2:16 pm

jacko1 wrote:a swivell and lure and youre good to go

the swivel is optional

Mon May 20, 2013 9:40 pm

roryodonnell wrote:
jacko1 wrote:a swivell and lure and youre good to go

the swivel is optional

Jigheads shot and jelly worms and off you go expect a bit of lost terminal gear cause they dive like stink for the bottom.... along with the wrasse who are starting to show back up.... :wink:

Tue May 21, 2013 12:01 pm

Rod is important I think – how many times do you read “caught Pollock to 6lbs but lost bigger in the kelp/reef”. A bit of strong arm tactics never goes a stray.

I use 15lb mono straight through to spinners, sand eels and paddle-tail shads fished deep.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:07 pm

I hate jig heads, texas rigging all the way because the better pollock seem to be in the more snaggy places. Red storm sandeels if you can get them are very good jerked slowly along the bottom. I tie the texas rigging hook straight onto the braid and have a bead and a 15 gram barrel lead sliding on the line, couldnt be more simple and you wont lose much gear.

Thu May 23, 2013 11:11 pm

How about some braid just makes small fish seem bigger :wink: