lures for wrasse

Sat May 11, 2013 8:01 pm

well guys im going to try abit of lure fishing for wrasse, I usually target them with bait so not so sure on what lures r best for wrasse. can anybody guide me to the best lures for wrasse??? much apreciated :D :D

cheers fagan :D :D

Re: lures for wrasse

Sat May 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Have a look at this months Irish Angler. Theres a good write up on wrasse with lures

Sat May 11, 2013 9:12 pm

It's less about the lure and more about the presentation. If you are happy that you can rig Texas style then it is a matter of experimenting with size and colour. Wrasse are not all that fussy but some colours work better on some days over others.
I tend to use smaller plastics. I use plastics that I don't rate for bass etc. I use the back end of plastics that are mangled. I use plastics from the bargin bin - the shrimp or prawn ones are great. Other than that small stick baits in greens work well for me.

One thing I do not see guys writing about is locking down your cone lead to keep it at the top of the hook using a tooth pick. I rate this presentation (for any species) better than any thing else. It casts well too.

After that make sure you are not out gunning the lures/leads with rod that is too strong. Bouncing a plastic along the bottom is all about feeling where your lure is at.

It's great craic...enjoy!

Sun May 12, 2013 11:39 am

small red or white texas rigged sp worm, just being jigged off bottom if on a height or bounced through kelp or snaggy areas. also move it around as they are territorial and if caught try move a few metres

Thu May 16, 2013 6:45 pm

As the male wrasse will start to become more territorial try blue, blue /green and purple soft plastics. The cheap ones are as good as any, they dont last too long if you are successful!

Thu May 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Have caught them on all sorts of lures but I have been most successful with 4''storm sandeels. You might get hit by the same fish 4 or 5 times before they hook themselves so persevere if you dont get them straight away, more often than not you will manage to catch them.

Fri May 24, 2013 2:27 pm

what do ye look for in a mark for wrasse ?

Fri May 24, 2013 5:23 pm

ATF wrote:what do ye look for in a mark for wrasse ?

Boulders, Kelp and a distinct lack of other anglers :lol: The better marks I have found all require a bit of a trek.