Berkley nanofil

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Well has anyone used this stuff and how do you rate it? (have seen some mixed reviews) i have got a spool .17 9.723kg im looking forward to trying out.
it seems like a very nice line and very smooth to the touch. id say it goes through the rings like air, time will tell how it stands up to a bit of fishing :D

Re: Berkley nanofil

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:31 pm

My uncle used it last year for his plugging for bass and trout :) he said you can cast a plug as far as you want that the line just flies off but he said the line snapped every time he struck :)

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:10 pm

I loaded 2 reels with the same line yesterday John so i'm looking forward to the replies. The only negatives i have seen are about the knots slipping, so i watched a couple of videos on youtube and i hope i got it right. I just need a change in the weather to give it a blast. I will try it first with a couple of cheap lures to make sure the knots are holding :roll: .

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 pm

I haven't tried it but when it came out last year a few guys on another forum tried it and it got mixed reviews. But mainly negative! The main prob seemed to be that the line kept fraying and was more hassle than it was worth.

Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:31 pm

I have Nanofil on one reel. It is not my go-to reel but my spare. It has worked fine for me. As said, it is slippery so watch your knots. I'd say if you do what is says on the spool you'll have no bother.
I would rate it way stronger than its breaking strain (I hauled in a huge rock one day :) ). I would watch the end in case it gets hairy, as you would your braid.

I like it! One of the buddies tried it and did not like it feeling it broke easily. So horses for courses!

I covered it back in 2011 in Irish Angler:

Nanoil has tweaked my interest because it is something new that offers some interesting possibilities. It behaves like a mono line but it has the characteristics of a braided line. Apparently Nanofil was discovered by accident during a manufacturing process. It is made from the same material as conventional braided line – dyneema or spectra. Unlike braid when the filaments are braided together and unlike fused or coated line like Fireline, Nanofil is chemically bonded to achieve a single filament that looks and feels similar to mono. It has the same no-stretch characteristics as braid but it will not soak up water. Berkley claim that Nanofil casts just like mono and the fact that has almost zero memory should mean that it will not tangle easily. I suppose the most interesting thing to me about this new line is the combination of diameter and price. Now there is the possibility of using line that has a diameter close to “super braid” at the price of a high-quality mono. A quick google will show you how this line is getting good reviews and has even won a few awards!
I had a choice of two spools 0.17 diameter for 9.72KG breaking strain and 0.15 diameter for 7.66kg breaking strain. I decided to go for the lighter of the two because reports suggest that it is stronger than its stated breaking strain so the 0.15 would be similar to the 0.13 Strikepro “Strikewire” braid that I am using on all my fixed spool reels. I spooled up and deliberately filled the spool as I would if spooling with mono, close to the maximum. I tied a tippet of fluorocarbon to the end using an Albright knot with a couple of safeties as recommended on the spool. I felt the line was a bit hard to work with when knotting than braid as it is not as soft but the knots held well. I suppose to be fair this was my first time using the line and it will take a bit of getting used to. I would think that anglers used to knotting mono would notice little change other than the tiny diameter. On a recent trip I tried to put the line through its paces. I fished soft plastics vertically – no problems. Caught some bass – no problems. I cast some soft plastic lures – no problems, no knots, basically it seemed to work perfectly. Remember I had over filled my spool. I got the impression that it was closer to its stated breaking strain rather than being above it. Really for a first run out I could not fault Nanofil. I am going to try it again on my next few trips and I will report back again. I am also going to see if I can get some more line from Berkley and get it tested by a bait fishing shore angler. Hopefully it is available in the braking strains usually used by big hitting shore fishermen. Nanofil is being billed as a breakthrough in line technology. It certainly has the potential to be revolutionary and could overtake many of the current crop of the top mono lines. Whether it has the potential to swing the braid users remains to be seen. To sum it up: impressive but early days yet!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Excellent review jim fair play to you. well it's on my reel now so looking forward to using it to see what it's like for myself :wink: