Water temperature site.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Just when you think you have all the sites this pops up which is new to me:
http://waterlevel.ie/
It appears to be done by the OPW and has water temperature data from various sites. Though mainly freshwater there is also some sea locations.
It gives a very accurate picture of what I thought was happening locally in recent weeks:

Temps were up to 8.5 a few weeks back before taking a savage dip during the cold spell (I had recorded 6.5) and are now starting to climb again. These recordings were taken at Ballycotton.

Good site!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Water temperature site.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Great site Stan 8)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 pm

sparkey+1 wrote:Great site Stan 8)

Cheers Mick :D :D

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:50 am

Great find, I normally use met .ie but to be honest I'm doubting there readings for the m2 buoy. Reckons the water tempt is colder now than 2 weeks ago? 7.4 and now 7.2. Any thoughts would 7.2 sound right ? According to this new site arklow is ranging from 9-10

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:11 am

I'd say that's about right, shallower inshore water would heat up a lot quicker.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 am

Would it be the case that the offshore sea enjoys less heating/cooling effect from the land? Would shallower water heat faster? I suppose in the absence of current bringing in colder water it would be the case.
I would think that the Arklow Harbour would be better indicator of temps than the M2 buoy for shore angling on the coast. Just as the Ballycotton or Ringaskiddy figures would be better than the M5 figures for angling along the shore in the Cork Harbour/East area.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Can we find out when the Bass are having their next tea party, where they plan to have it, what they plan to eat..! :-)

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 pm

M2 buoy is showing 8 dagrees . Hopefully it keeps rising.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:56 pm

ark rose glenn wrote:M2 buoy is showing 8 dagrees . Hopefully it keeps rising.

Air Temp 8.0 Sea Temp now 8.5

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:15 pm

OK that's it I am bringing out a thermometer next time. Was out today and GPS/FF was showing 5.4 degrees everybody is telling me this cannot be true because temp at M2 buoy was etc etc etc
Will proof it one way or the other maybe sunday if all goes well. :D
My thinking is shallow water close to land in winter is way colder than deeper water offshore I might be wrong it's definitely known to happen. :D

Yappo

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm with yappo on this my ff has been showing up the temp as been a lot colder . Out of curiosity what site do you get the reading from on the m2 buoy. Just checked now and it reads 7.5 which is the highest I've seen it in weeks prob months. I use met.ie

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:31 pm

The temp is going up during the day at night its dropping . It was at 8 dagrees when I checked it today and its at 7.5 now. It will be another week or so before it gets warm enough for things to improve. It has been a long wait so I hope it picks up soon.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:44 pm

yappo wrote:My thinking is shallow water close to land in winter is way colder than deeper water offshore

Yes, it would be! Water has a high specific heat capacity, so in deeper water there is more heat energy to dissipate towards the top even if surface has been cooled by a cold air temperature.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:59 am

This is interesting - the way air and surface temps lag at B2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for the figures JD interesting alright. I will start to keep water temps as part of my diary and see how they compare to buoy M2. :D

Yappo

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks for that Jim

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Jim, thanks for posting that.
It should be very useful.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:30 am

This is a great piece of kit now I will not fish until the water is warm enough GREAT

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:58 pm

good site Jim i have been watching the water temps for weeks now and its starting to feel like watching paint dry.will it ever get a move on

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Got out today for a few hours from Dun Laoghaire to Bray water temps from 5.3 to 5.9 degrees.
Just checked buoy M2 showing 7.5.

Yappo