This is a plea...

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm heading to the southeast at the end of the month to target Bass on lures, I'd love some info on venues and the states of tide they fish on, I realise cards are close to the chest when it comes to these fish, so I'm looking for replies through PM only.
All information treated with upmost respect, shall not be uttered to another soul. In hope of some help.

Re: This is a plea...

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Drew - Personally I think you are slightly early in the game. It may be this is an opportunity for you but if possible and you had another opportunity I would consider travelling later in the season. Speaking from a Wexford point of view, fishing will remain difficult under current circumstances.

Even with an improvement it's still a considerable challenge. I'm in no way trying to discourage you but am conscious of the distance you are travelling and the personal investment you might have to make.
Remember too that conditions at this time of year affect the fish much more actively than later in the season - a change from good to bad in April is much more significantly negative than in October or September.

Of course because it's bass fishing anything is possible but based on a little experience I always think post June 16th for Wexford - further south into Waterford and Cork might help your ambitions but I would pay close attention to real catch reports from reliable sources.

If catching is not your prime objective and learning is then enjoy the south east - if you want a bit of help just call

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Thats solid advice Jim...! Reports are few and far between with little or nothing being caught. The article on your blog about metabolism and bass feeding habbits was brilliant.

Drew - if I was traveling that distance I would wait until end of Sept and head to Wex/Wat/Kerry. I can imagine you are itching to get out, I know I am. We are down in kerry in 2 weeks time but fully expecting to have to leave the lure rod down and fish with lug where we know we have a much better chance of getting amongst the fish. Looking back over my records for the past few years we have caught around 80% of our bass on lug in April / May and in Sept in nearly the complete opposite where lures dominate the catch rate. If you are going the Kerry route at any stage I can give you a few marks that have rarely let us down, almost never in fact. Last Sept down there by all accounts we got lucky as a high pressure landed the weekend we were there after a prolonged low, but we had lots of fish.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Gave it a good four hours today and fished hard and nothing in return again. Conditions were not the best but the word from some is the same lots of hours fishing with bait and lures and little in return. Drew im no expert but with the cost to come down south at this time of year and the way the fishing is i would hold off a few weeks. The last few days of April should tell a lot but i will say it was a little warmer today only three tops and two pairs of socks :roll:

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for the info lads, under the influence of you 3, and a few more over PM I think we'll hold off til at least after the ban. Once again thanks, Jim I'd say we'll be in touch for a session once it warms up a bit.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 pm

D
Probably more than a hundred years of genuine bass experiences tied into those names above (Marty, Eoghan, Ray, Don and Aust), wont go far wrong guy with any of 'em!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Was out again today as i took a break from fishing and thinking to myself here i am moaning about no fish.The reality of someone else day was way different the coast guard where about and the family of a young man who is missing just made think think how lucky i was.Im not sure if they have found the mans body yet but i hope the do soon for his family.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:07 am

Why not try and get to know your local seatrout marks while your waiting?