lures for BASS

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 pm

any suggestions on the type of lures for bass.
im goin to give millisle a go for 'em, just never know.

Re: lures for BASS

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:43 am

Where to begin?!? You could write a book answering that question!

There's also a lot of hype around lures. There are a lot of new, modern lures that work very well and might improve your chances, but at the same time, you can stick a hook on a teaspoon and still catch fish!! (I know someone who has used a carrot with treble hooks to great effect ...)

Here's four more sensible lures to get you started!!

Fishing on the surface: Smith ZipSea Pop in transparent or white, Yo-Zuri Mag Popper in white/green or blue/black or gold/black.

Fishing below the surface: Luckycraft FlashMinnow 110 (diving/suspending) - silvery colours or blue/blacks. Lucky Craft Lipless Pointers (sinking sub-surface walk-the-dog) in mackerel or white colours.

Good luck!

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:35 pm

i've got a load of rapalas do they work at all. :?: :?: :?: :?:

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:43 pm

dan wrote:i've got a load of rapalas do they work at all. :?: :?: :?: :?:

They should... :wink:

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:19 am

dan wrote:i've got a load of rapalas do they work at all. :?: :?: :?: :?:

I knew I forgot something! The jointed rapalas are still one of my favourite lures. If you have a J13S (black and silver) or J13FRG (orange) or J13B (blue) that's ideal!

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:18 pm

i had quite a few bass on the mackeral x-raps in 2 weeks ago.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Hows it going i found a great cheap lure toby spinners the plin silver or blue?silver amazing lure where i fish in east cork caught 9 bass in two months just with lures!!!!!!

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Kilty's

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:47 pm

basslover1 wrote:Hows it going i found a great cheap lure toby spinners the plin silver or blue?silver amazing lure where i fish in east cork caught 9 bass in two months just with lures!!!!!!

is that the abu lures. i use them for pollack coalies and mackerel.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:55 am

like most other lure fishermen I have about a zillion different lure,some will never touch water, but unless ur fishing somewhere with a bass population don't be fooled into thinking ur lure is the reason ur not catching, any of the lures mentioned in other posts will work but only if there's bass there, I don't think bass are that fussy but just tend to feed at evolved times...the usual dawn,dusk,spring tides jargon. There is not much out there that a bass will turn its nose to, its really finding where they are first and foremost, then trying a selection of mixed popular lures,plugs,poppers,eels,spratt,spinners,jellies,feathers,spoons..... :oops: ok u get the point I hope, my most successfull lure to date despite being armed the teeth with everything is the humble black flying c.... 8)

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:41 am

dan wrote:any suggestions on the type of lures for bass.
im goin to give millisle a go for 'em, just never know.

Too cold for lures at Millisle now. Try bait.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:37 pm

dead on

thanks guys for your replies

highly appreciated

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:44 am

the tobys i use arent original abu get them in tw murrys in cork city 6 for 6.50 there shakespear i think amazing lures for pollack too

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:12 pm

had my biggest mackerel on an abu toby
3.75Ibs

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:38 am

Thats a nice size mackerel must have had some size of a head :D :D

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:53 pm

some scrap on the lures. took about 10 mins to land.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:23 am

How effective are poppers for Bass??

I have never caught one, but will be trolling lures behind my kayak once the weather warms up.
Not sure if they are in the location, but would like to find out one way or another.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:14 am

anthony2carr wrote:How effective are poppers for Bass??

Very effective. I use poppers for 90% of by bass fishing from around June to October in these southern parts.

I've never come across trolling poppers for Bass. If you're not watching the lure, ready to stop it if a Bass misses it, you're probably going to loose something like 75% of the fish that you would otherwise catch.

I've put some thoughts together for people starting out with poppers over on the Irish Bass site:

http://www.irishbass.org/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=58

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:07 pm

anthony2carr wrote:How effective are poppers for Bass??

All the Bass I got on that trip to Wexford (as reported on IrishBass and elsewhere) were on surface poppers. It made a believer out of me. :D

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:31 pm

dan wrote:had my biggest mackerel on an abu toby
3.75Ibs

Thats some mac.
Where did you get that????