Scottish road trip

Forum to discuss angling from kayaks, canoes, portabotes and other coastal craft. Small boat and kayak angling in Ireland.

Moderators: MAC, anthony byrne

Scottish road trip

Postby anthony byrne » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:42 pm

Day 1
It was an early start 1am to be exact. I had the car pre loaded the night before so all I had to do was wake up, get dressed, stop off for petrol and then a 45 minute drive to Laytown where I picked up Graham. We weren't long reorganizing the car so the two could fit on the roof and get everything else inside. Graham had everything and the kitchen sink with him. Although I must say, I was very happy to see him as he had a lovey bag of Shamrock goodies waiting for me :) Onward we went for the ferry terminal in Larne about 2-3 hours away. Driving conditions were bad with 30 knot winds gusting a lot higher. By the time we got to Larne it was worrying as the wind was howling and the car was rocking while we waited to board the terminal. We werent long waiting for our good friends Andrew and Tony to turn up. Interesting how we got there first especially considering the lazy buggers only live 20 minutes away.
Scotland Feb 14 028_475x356.jpg
Scotland Feb 14 028_475x356.jpg (31.17 KiB) Viewed 620 times

A short while later and we were sitting comfortably on the ferry. We sat back read the safety instructions, ate some dodgy eggs and watched a film.
Scotland Feb 14 030_475x356.jpg
Scotland Feb 14 030_475x356.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Needless to say the banter was fierce and nobody was safe from the slaggings. It wasnt a bad trip over on the ferry we all managed to keep breakfast down. Next stop on the road trip was Glasgow Angling one of the largest fishing stores in europe. After a few wrong turns and then a few right ones we eventual (3 hours later) made it. A faboulous store full of everything a fisherman could ask for. Nick and the lads were great help, they helped us to spend every penny in our pockets. Even Graham had to get a basket
GAC_475x356.jpg
GAC_475x356.jpg (25.56 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Next stop was Balmacara, it was an adventurous drive with Graham playing chicken with an artic truck and me nearly driving over the edge of a cliff in a white out snow storm not to mention a failure in a roof rack which left a badly damaged kayak. You've probably guessed there was a few well deserved drinks in the bar that night where we met up with Rob and Dan.

Day2
The grounds we had planned to fish were completely out of bounds due to the 40 KPH winds gusting up to 60KPH, not to be beaten Rob was scrutinizing the maps and we found our selves launching at a loch not far from where we were staying. Kayaks unloaded, rods ready and drysuits put on (wooly hats/thermals too). We were soon on the water, I have never seen depths like it, we set about the far side of the loch which was to be the deepest. Less than 100m from shore and I was in 300ft of water. Skate baits down along with the mickey fish rig.
Scotland Feb 14 038_475x356.jpg
Scotland Feb 14 038_475x356.jpg (38.56 KiB) Viewed 620 times

It was extremely tough to get anchored up as the anchors were dragging, I was lucky enough to snag the anchor and it held me for the best part of the day. A couple of knocks on the mickey fish rig produced a dog fish, in the mean time some of the lads were hitting ray, pollack and conger. I changed rigs to the animal rig and again I wasnt long waiting for another dogfish.
Scotland Feb 14 004_475x356.jpg
Scotland Feb 14 004_475x356.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 620 times

The wind had again picked up and slowly but surely I was been blowing further down the loch, the anchor had slipped and I was dragging. Dam, trying to reel in two rods from 300ft down and take in an anchor with 400ft of line is a task I dont wish to do any time soon again. The cold weather was setting in and it was decided to call it a day. A few drinks and some story telling in the bar finished off a good evening.
Day3
I woke at 6.30 am with the thought of a skate in my head, a quick look out the window and it was flat calm. Today is the day I thought to myself. 30 minutes later and it was gusting 50 KPH. WTF I had thought to myself. The weather got worse and worse. Myself and Graham took a drive around Skye in the hope of getting a launch spot but it wasn't to be. Disheartened is an understatement. All our hard work, time, money and energy that was put in to try catch a skate and it wasn't going to be.
Although we didn't catch a skate I had a great trip. I met some of Europes finest anglers, seen some of the worlds best scenery and had an adventurous road trip. The Craic and banter along the way was mighty and regardless of what the weather threw at us we kept on trying.
Until the next time ........................
Castle_475x356.jpg
Castle_475x356.jpg (25.33 KiB) Viewed 620 times
http://anthonybyrnekayakangler.blogspot.ie
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)

For this message the author anthony byrne has received thanks: 2
razor2 (Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:56 pm), seaotter (Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:38 pm)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 147 times

Re: Scottish road trip

Postby anthony byrne » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Determined Dan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:50 pm

Great report lads. Nice to se some where different. Hard luck on the skate but as you said next time.
20107xthornback ray. {PB 14.5LB TB RAY} 1xpouting. 1xcodling.11xdogfish. 25xflounder.1xshore rock ling. 177xmac 4xturbot.1 bull huss.1sea trout. 1 MAYO BASS.2011. WHITING X9. COALIE X3. FLOUNDER X7. DOGGIE X8. THORNIEX3. CODLINGX1. SEA SCORPIONX1. 5 BEARDED ROCKLINGX4. SEATROUT X1. TURBOT X1. POLLACK X7. 3 BEARD ROCKLING .2012 SEATROUT X3. TURBOT X5. FLOUNDER X7. 3B,ROCKLINGX1.DOG .
. 2013.shore species ..... Flounder, dog conger pollack sea trout plaice. Gobyx3 wrasse cork wing wrasse Huss scorpion fish sp. coalie .
Determined Dan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby ste c » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:11 am

some road trip good report, pitty the weather didnt hold off

i flew over to glasgow angling centre a few years back was like a kid in a sweet shop the place is like a mini super market of fishing gear
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby anthony byrne » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Determined Dan wrote:Great report lads. Nice to se some where different. Hard luck on the skate but as you said next time.

Thanks Dan
ste c wrote:some road trip good report, pitty the weather didnt hold off

i flew over to glasgow angling centre a few years back was like a kid in a sweet shop the place is like a mini super market of fishing gear

Great value on boxes of hooks swivels etc. great spot over there and the Craic was great
Irishkayakangling.com
Kayak Species 2011 (6)
Kayak Species 2012 (14)
Kayak Species 2013 (15)
anthony byrne
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Yaks Attack!