Kayak(s): Myself and Gary

Duration:6.30 pm - 10

Tide: low

Weather: Not bad

Bait: Mackerel and Whiting

Rigs: All sorts

Results: Me: 3 Huss 1 mackerel lots of dogs and whiting
Gary: Gurnard dogs and whiting

Report: Myself and Gary made plans to meet up at a Wicklow beach for a bash at the tope. As we launched it was a beautiful calm evening and we set about a short paddle to the mark. I picked up 1 mackerel on the way out :D
1.jpg

I had mack fillets with me but it was nice to have some fresh stuff. Gary was straight into the whiting as well. We anchored up about 50 meters apart and dropped the lines. At this point the tide was running at an average pace and it was nothing to be concerned about, 5 ounce leads were holding the bottom. I was kept busy with the dogs taking whole mack fillets on an 8/0 hook (greedy feckers) :evil: I then dropped down the small rod (3/0 hooks ) and straight away I was hitting the whiting which were now gona be used for a change. Straight away on the whiting I took a huss :shock: . I then caught another two whiting and used them both as live bait on the one (8/0) :shock: I know it sounds mad but sure I had nothing to lose. One was slightly above the hook and the other was to present the hook, I was hoping the two together would attract something big :P Line dropped down and within minutes the reel was clicking away. Lifted up into a heavy fish and this lad appeared :P
5.jpg

He felt alot bigger reeling him in, it was then I really noticed how the tide had started to run. Even a 10 oz weight wouldn't hold the bottom, I think Gary went up to a 12. The dogs and whiting were attacking the baits all evening but just before we called it a day I picked up a very small huss who decided to vomit all over me :x WTF never seen anything like it :lol: :lol:
2.jpg

Darkness fell and up with the anchors, just a short clip to show how my huss handling skills have improved since the last time :lol: :lol: :oops:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ypeu8nKXBus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The hunt continues

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 am

very nice. the gurnards can be savages too.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:19 pm

nice one anto, those huss can be rotten for voiding their stomach contents..... :shock:

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:16 pm

well done anto nice report :wink: