West Cork

Thu May 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Kayak(s): Hobie Outbacks

Duration: 3 short sessions

Tide: High tide mostly

Weather: Typical Irish weather. Rain then sun then wind then more rain oh and hail stones

Bait: Rag, squid, mackeral, peeler

Rigs: All sorts

Results: 6 wrasse and 6 pollock

Report:
Day 1:Had a week booked in West Cork with the family and the parents so naturally the kayaks were brought aswell. Needless to say the wife wasnt happy This gave us a great chance to check the trailer we had been working on and sure enough it lasted the journey
kayak.jpg

The first morning we headed to a nice launch point in Toormore, me self and the father set up the kayaks and made a hasty run for the water as the midges were in full swing Beautiful crystal clear water, I was amased I could still see the bottom after 10ft (you dont get that in Dublin ) We hugged the shoreline for a fair bit with no action at all not even a nibble on we went out to deeper water but again it was quiet. Then rain clouds came over and boy did it rain, it was at this stage that I noticed the father was gone a hasty retreat to some shelter. While I was sitting feeling very sorry for myself I got a lovely knock on the rod, I lifted up into it and it was fish on unfortunately the fish was a smart fecker and hid behind some rocks which snapped the line Not impressed so I wasnt. Trolled the two rods back towards the launch point and picked up two pollock along the way. Very happy to beat the blank

kayak2.jpg

Day 2: Seen a much better start with the sun shining bright. I decided to hit a different mark today which I got from Allen. An absolutely beautiful place, the scenery was amazing truly outstanding but again the fishing was to be slow.
I headed along the rock face in the hope of pollock but to be honest I was side tracked checking out the caves
kayak3.jpg

I headed a little over 1km along the cliffs and the headed for an obstacle in the center of the bay, turned out to be a rock ! In around 60ft of water . Trolled back along the cliffs for awhile and this lad appeared
kayak4.jpg

Again very happy to beat the blank and called it a day. Saturday was horrendous so fishing was off for the day, told the wife I wanted to spend the day with her A quick call to Pat that night to discuss venues and another call to Graham to discuss tactics seen me heading back to my first mark again for a Sunday session.
Day 3: Just me today up at 4.30 and headed off for a few hours. I knew there was pollock around but surely there had to be better fishing U headed a couple of kilometers along the shore and out of the bay fishing 90ft of water at times. Two hours in and not a bite needless to say I was getting frustrated.I was trying every rig and bait in the box. A few quick words with the man upstairs (ill try anything) and I decided I was beaten. On the way back in I dropped the rods once more in about 40ft of water in what looked a kelp bed and BANG It all kicked off from there.

The fish hit hard for 15 minutes and as quick as they came they were gone but I was a happy camper oh and not to mention as I was trolling back I picked up a wee pollock 58cm
kayak7.jpg

It was a cracking day on the water and found the father (Anto snr) out fishing on way way back. Absolutely a wonderful part of the country Ill be sure to be back next year. I know the fishing wasnt amazing but I was happy with the fish I had
Thanks again to the lads for the advice and info Great to have such good club members
Here's a video, even did some self rescue !
http://youtu.be/IcUI8ZkPcDg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: West Cork

Thu May 23, 2013 4:50 pm

well done on another great report anto, the trailer looks very well, well worth the time and effort put into it :wink:

Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm

congrats,,,do you find them kayaks comfy,,would your back feel discomfort after a while

Thu May 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Nice video! Some lovely wrasse there..

Thu May 23, 2013 6:42 pm

JOHN1 wrote:well done on another great report anto, the trailer looks very well, well worth the time and effort put into it :wink:

Thanks John prob won't use it again until next year :lol:
saving private brian wrote:congrats,,,do you find them kayaks comfy,,would your back feel discomfort after a while

Ill let you know Monday hitting Donegal for two day the week end on it :mrgreen: they have all sorts of comfort seats etc mine is a self inflating :shock: nice and soft on the arse but after about 5 hours I do find I need to stretch the legs
gerty86 wrote:Nice video! Some lovely wrasse there..

The second wrasse was a lovely scrap cheers

Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 pm

Good stuff Anto heading that way Saturday myself for pollack good to see

Thu May 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Well done great video. What was the rig you got most of the rass on? Where in Donegal ya going fishing?

Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Determined Dan wrote:Well done great video. What was the rig you got most of the rass on? Where in Donegal ya going fishing?

Got most of the wrasse on my own rig it's kid of like a flowing trace with another snood towards the top. Spinner and beads on the bottom snood with 3/0 hooks. The orange muppet rig is the animal rig from shamrock tackle. The pollock loved that. Some where around Malin head weather permitting.
razor2 wrote:Good stuff Anto heading that way Saturday myself for pollack good to see

Rag worked best with the orange muppets for me

Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Nice one Anto lovely part of the country if it didn't rain you would never leave it. :D

good luck in Donegal.

Hoping to get out tomorrow after coalie, fingers crossed.

Yappo