master angler 2007

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:23 pm

i have been informed that the master angler shore 2007 is goen to be run on 13/14 oct 2007 in mullaghmore.
does anyone have any idea of specific venues that are likely to be used for the 3 events

Master angler 2007

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:53 pm

i am working on trying to get information on the venues and what they hold so far i have come up with this rosses point beach , mullaghmore beach , streegah beach. From what i can make out they are all surf beaches. There is not much information coming forward from anyone over there it must be a big secret or they just don't fish these beaches themselves, it would be nice to hear from the lads over in west to see what they think.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:23 am

to be honest id say the beaches just arent fished much, thats why even the local anglers dont know much about them!

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm

thats a good starting point anyway fished streedagh last year and hated it, about a dozen of us fished it for 5 hours and all that was caught was a small turbot. thanks for the info paul

Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:20 pm

Just seen this. Mullagh should be flats, coalies, whiting and dogs. Flounder and turbot during the day with the rest after dark. Sea trout but of course not worth a damn in the comp.

Streedagh is full on surf beach, flatties again with the outside chance of a bass. Haven't fished it for a while but our club are running one of the league fixtures on it at the weekend so will let you know how it goes. Not looking forward to fishing it as it can be bloody hard work.

Rosses Point...plenty of small flats but to be honest I haven't fished it a whole pile.

Sligo Beaches

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Having originally come from that neck of the woods the only one of those beaches that is anyway regularly fished is Mullaghmore and can be a real hot flounder venue. If there is a big tide and surf it can produce Bass but mainly on the very right hand side (Mermaids cove is one of the few Bass Marks in that region). If your fishing into darkness you will get doggies anything else is a bonus. However its been about 2 years since I fished it. Never fished Streedagh because the best part of it involves a very long walk, but it gets very mixed reviews which I assume means you need to fish it in the right conditions to get anything. I would say there isn't an open surf beach in Ireland that doesn't get fished less than Rosses point. Its a typical shallow surf beach, a tiny stream flows into it on the very right hand side (a good peg if you get it) and the Garryvoe river on the very left. I assume the main middle section would be pegged as its fairly even steven and can accommodate a lot of anglers. If so its would be mainly flounder and dabs, with the odd turbot. Its incredibly shallow in places. I don't know if any fish from the main channel (Garryvoe river) move accross the beach, but the channel (hard to hold the bottom in large tides) can throw up anything, caught flounder, coddling, sea-trout, seen Pollock, Bass and herd of even a smooth hound been caught there. . I used to live is Sligo town for two years and never seen anyone fish the main beach in Rosses Point, I assume its because there are better beaches close by (Strandhill) and even in winter there is lots of activity, ie walkers, speed boats, jet skies, wind surfers, etc........
I am sure some people have better info but that's my lot.

Master Angler 2007

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:19 pm

We had a lot of stuff written about the Master Angler on this forum last Sept/Oct. Perhaps the penny is is now sinking in with me. Why would the IFSA bring the premier competition of the year to beaches that the locals, never mind the local clubs wont fish. It's time these guys copped onto themselves.

Re: Master Angler 2007

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:47 pm

weaverbeaver wrote:We had a lot of stuff written about the Master Angler on this forum last Sept/Oct. Perhaps the penny is is now sinking in with me. Why would the IFSA bring the premier competition of the year to beaches that the locals, never mind the local clubs wont fish. It's time these guys copped onto themselves.

to be fair i am sure they are doing their homework. although i wouldn't be surprised if the venues changed from the above mentioned.

the IFSA did a good job on the last one. likewise with the fish-offs. fair play.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:58 pm

To be fair Weaver, there is not by any manner or means that much shore fishing done around the Northwest of the country. Doesnt detract from the venues though.

Master Angler 2007

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:20 pm

Lets not forget that the last Master Angler and the 'Fish-Off', was held in Wexford on venues that are capable of producing numbers of fish on any given day and these comps were run by Leinster Council. What I'm saying is that the IFSA should is certain circumstances over-rule the decision to host these competitions on beaches that are not fished on a regular basis. I was talking to a guy last night that fished the last master Angler in Connaught (2003) and again one of the zones was on a beach that nobody ever fishes, and guess what happened ,there were f all fish caught, I wonder why!!!!